Momentum and Kinetic Energy: A Fundamental Relationship?

In summary, momentum and kinetic energy are related in that they both involve the motion of an object. However, while momentum is always conserved in a closed system, kinetic energy is not always conserved in collisions. This means that momentum can be used to calculate unknown velocities in a collision, while kinetic energy cannot always be used in the same way.
Pseudo Statistic
Probably dumb question asked before...
How are Momentum and Kinetic Energy related?
I've noticed P = mv and KE = 0.5mv^2 indicating that KE is just taking the integral of momentum with respect to velocity, is that a coincidence or is there a reason for such a relation?
Which discovery came about first?
Thanks.

Likes ForceBoy
Physics news on Phys.org
Not dumb at all. The object that has kinetic energy got it from having work done on it--that is, a force exerted over a distance.

KE = Work Done = [tex]\int F dx[/tex]

The force is just the rate of change of momentum: F = ma = m dv/dt. Put this into the integral to get

KE = [tex]\int m \ \frac{dv}{dt} \ dx[/tex]

Now use the chain rule to write dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt) = v (dv/dx):

KE = [tex]\int m v \ \frac{dv}{dx} \ dx = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex]

This is equivalent, like you pointed out, to just integrating p=mv with respect to v.

edit: I'm not sure which formula came first. I would think the formulas originated about the same time, but I really don't know. The concepts were known before Newton, but I think he made them precise.

Last edited:
PBRMEASAP said:
Not dumb at all. The object that has kinetic energy got it from having work done on it--that is, a force exerted over a distance.

KE = Work Done = [tex]\int F dx[/tex]

The force is just the rate of change of momentum: F = ma = m dv/dt. Put this into the integral to get

KE = [tex]\int m \ \frac{dv}{dt} \ dx[/tex]

Now use the chain rule to write dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt) = v (dv/dx):

KE = [tex]\int m v \ \frac{dv}{dx} \ dx = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex]

This is equivalent, like you pointed out, to just integrating p=mv with respect to v.

edit: I'm not sure which formula came first. I would think the formulas originated about the same time, but I really don't know. The concepts were known before Newton, but I think he made them precise.
What I don't understand is this bit:
"Now use the chain rule to write dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt) = v (dv/dx):

KE = [tex]\int m v \ \frac{dv}{dx} \ dx = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex]"
How'd you get 1/2mv^2 after integrating mv dv/dx with respect to x? If you did the integral of mv you get 1/2mv^2... but I'm kinda tripped up with the dv/dx.
Care to explain?
Thanks.

Because of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, that integration reverses differentiation and vice versa, plus the linearity of integration, you can pretend the dv/dx is really a quotient and cancel the dx's.

Right. The easiest way to see it is by working backwards from the answer. For example, the chain rule for derivatives gives us

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (\frac{1}{2} v^2) = v \frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

and the fundamental theorem of calculus says

[tex]\int \ \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{1}{2} v^2) \ dx = \frac{1}{2} v^2[/tex]

We can use the first equation to see that

[tex]\int \ v \frac{dv}{dx} \ dx = \frac{1}{2} v^2[/tex]

edit: took out some stray parentheses

Last edited:
As for the history of the concepts of KE & momentum,i think u'll find interesting discussions in bigraphies of G.W.Leibniz,R.Descartes & I.Newton.

Daniel.

OK, I get it.
Thanks.

whats the third integral? rate of change of KE?

What about considering Lagrangian? For principle of least action (with Lagrangian function) to hold, partial derivative of it must be momentum, so that action can be minimized using Newton's Law.

dont know what that means

This is Lagrangian mechanics.

so there is no third integral? nothing with the formula 1/3mv^3?

How are Momentum and Kinetic Energy related?

Some practical insights here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_linear_momentum#Conservation_of_linear_momentum

Momentum has the special property that, in a closed system, it is always conserved, even in collisions and separations caused by explosive forces. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is not conserved in collisions if they are inelastic. Since momentum is conserved it can be used to calculate an unknown velocity following a collision or a separation if all the other masses and velocities are known.

A common problem in physics that requires the use of this fact is the collision of two particles. Since momentum is always conserved, the sum of the momenta before the collision must equal the sum of the momenta after the collision.

Determining the final velocities from the initial velocities (and vice versa) depend on the type of collision. There are two types of collisions that conserve momentum: elastic collisions, which also conserve kinetic energy, and inelastic collisions, which do not.

Necropost alert.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are closely related, with both being measures of an object's motion. The difference is that momentum takes into account an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy only considers an object's speed.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction must be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

4. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. Momentum is a vector quantity, so it can have a positive or negative direction depending on the direction of an object's motion. For example, an object moving in the negative direction will have a negative momentum.

5. How can momentum be changed?

Momentum can be changed by applying a force to an object. This force can be in the form of a push, pull, or any other type of interaction. The change in momentum will depend on the magnitude and direction of the force and the time over which it is applied.