Can anyone confirm formula (combinations)

by uart
Tags: combinations, confirm, formula
uart
Mar26-05, 11:57 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,751
Hi, I've been scratching around trying to figure out a formula for the following problem and I've got one that I think is correct. Just wondering if anyone can confirm it for certain (like maybe you have it in a text book or know it well etc). Thanks.

Problem : You need to partition n=k*m distinct objects into k sets each containing m objects. How many ways can you do this?

Proposed Answer :

Number of possible distinct partitionings = n! / ( k! * (m!)^k )

(I think it's correct).
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Hurkyl
Mar26-05, 12:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
Sounds plausible.
matt grime
Mar26-05, 01:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,398
Are the sets into which we partition indistinguishable? Ie if we partition n into n sets there are n! ways of doing this if we consider order, or just 1 if we say that they are all equivalent. I'm guessing fromyour formula order doesn't matter.

So there are nCm ways of picking the first set, mutliplied by (n-m)Cm for the second and so on, but we need to divide by k! to forget the ordering which is, I suspect, exactly what your formula is.

uart
Mar27-05, 12:50 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,751

Can anyone confirm formula (combinations)

Quote Quote by matt grime
Are the sets into which we partition indistinguishable? Ie if we partition n into n sets there are n! ways of doing this if we consider order, or just 1 if we say that they are all equivalent. I'm guessing fromyour formula order doesn't matter.
Your guess is correct Matt, the way I set it up is that order doesn't matter. So in the example of partitioning n items into n sets of one item each then yes there is only one way to do it, not n! ways.

An example of the type of problem that I wanted to solve is : say you have 12 people meet to play 6 games of chess, how many distinct ways can you organize that round of 6 games.

BTW, I can prove for certain that the formula works for the m=2 case (like in the chess example) but I was just a little unsure if it was correct for m>2.

Register to reply