typical value free air convection heat transfer coefficient

by Askara
Tags: coefficient, convection, free, heat, transfer, typical
Askara
Apr27-13, 05:32 AM
P: 21
whats would be typical value for free air convection heat transfer coefficient at high temperature of 1000 degree c?

let say i have a vertical cylinder of diameter 5 cm and 3 cm high. and i heat it to 1000 degree c. the room temperature is 20c . what would the convection heat transfer coefficient be?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
AlephZero
Apr27-13, 07:36 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,347
Pick whatever formula you like best from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer_coefficient

Or guess a number between 5 and 25 W/m^2.K, according to http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/co...fer-d_430.html

If you want an "accurate" value, you need to find a correlation based on measurements similar to your actual situation. For eaxmple your very short cylinder might be better approximated as a sphere than as a long cylinder ignoring end effects.
russ_watters
Apr27-13, 07:58 AM
Mentor
P: 21,999
Note that at that temperature, radiation is probably a much bigger factor than convection, so you're going to want to calculate that.

Askara
Apr28-13, 02:36 AM

typical value free air convection heat transfer coefficient

the thing is engineering box say 5 and 25 W/m^2.K, i have seen some website say 5 and 50 W/m^2.K, and wikipedia 10-100 W/m^2.K so i dont really know what to chooese.

plus onvection heat transfer coefficient increase with temperature, it may be 25 W/m^2.K at 20-200 degree c but it will be higher at 1000 degree c.
russ_watters
Apr28-13, 05:44 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
It's a very difficult thing to estimate. I'd pick something conservative inside all three ranges. Like, 20.

What exactly the purpose of this question? Ie, how much accuracy is required? Can you measure instead of calculating? Use a controller?
Askara
Apr29-13, 02:28 AM
russ_watters thanks, i alway just assumed radiation doesnt matter much but actually as you said, is it much bigger factor than convection. thats why the data i got doesnt match the result from convection

Register to reply