Register to reply

Portland Cement.

by SherlockOhms
Tags: cement, portland
Share this thread:
SherlockOhms
May4-13, 01:47 PM
P: 309
Could someone tell me the major hydraulic reactive components in Portland Cement and also the undesirable by-product during the cement hydration reaction? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
Useful nucleus
May5-13, 12:45 AM
P: 264
I belive alite (and to some extent belite) are the majot reacive phases in portland cement.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alite

Regarding the other question, "undesirable" in what sense? For every application there is a corresponding undesirable byproduct.
SherlockOhms
May5-13, 04:39 AM
Quote Quote by Useful nucleus View Post
I belive alite (and to some extent belite) are the majot reacive phases in portland cement.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alite

Regarding the other question, "undesirable" in what sense? For every application there is a corresponding undesirable byproduct.
Thanks for that. To be honest, I'm not sure. I was just reading a past exam question and it stumped me. I have a feeling it may be Sodium Hydroxide because I think I remember our lecture mentioning that before. Does that sound correct?

Useful nucleus
May5-13, 04:30 PM
Portland Cement.

Sodium compounds do not play a role in portland cement. Calcium and Silicon dominate the scene in cement. Before mixing with water, the klinker is mainly alite and belite. After mixing with water, the cement paste is dominated by calcium-silicate-hydrate and Ca(OH)2 (portlandite).
SherlockOhms
May5-13, 04:39 PM
Is calcium hydroxide an undesirable product in the cement? I know that CSH is what gives it it's strength, right?
Useful nucleus
May5-13, 05:22 PM
I cannot give a general statement about Ca(OH)2 in all applications. But one application I'm familiar with is storing nuclear waste in cementitious waste forms for ultimate disposal in geological repositories. In such application it is highly undesirable to have Ca(OH)2 because its presence elevates the pH in the system and so can facilitate the leaching and migration of radionuclides.

And you are right cement cohesion and strength is mainly due to C-S-H.
SherlockOhms
May5-13, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the help. Great stuff!

Register to reply