Register to reply

Surface area and total area

by Integral0
Tags: surface
Share this thread:
Integral0
Oct8-03, 05:31 PM
P: 56
What's the difference b/w surface area and total area? For example, the surface area of a cylinder is A = 2 pi rh while the total area of a cylinder is A = 2 pi rh x 2 pi r^2.

Thanks for the help =)
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
HallsofIvy
Oct8-03, 06:03 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,569
There is no difference between "total area" and "surface area" and your assertion that the "surface area" of a cylinder is 2pi rh is incorrect. That is the "lateral surface area". The ends of a cylinder are as much "surface" as the lateral surface.
Integral0
Oct8-03, 07:46 PM
not according to my math book.

HBar
Oct9-03, 12:05 AM
P: 68
Surface area and total area

I guess by "surface area" your math book, as HallsofIvy said, means lateral surface area and by "total surface area" it means surface area. And this is not correct:
A = 2 pi rh x 2 pi r^2
it should be: A=2rπh + 2πr2. Why would you multiply the lateral surface area by the area of the top and bottom?

It would be pretty ridiculous if your math book called lateral surface area, "surface area" because no one will know what the heck you mean if you call it that.

-HBar
Integral0
Oct9-03, 06:10 PM
What does n represent in your areas?
Mr. Robin Parsons
Oct9-03, 06:19 PM
P: 1,560
Originally posted by Integral0
What does n represent in your areas?
It isn't N it is pi, done like this, & pi ; (minus the spaces) go back to General math, (the thread listing) and at the top you too can find "making math symbols" π
Integral0
Oct10-03, 07:43 PM
According to my SAT math book ->

"The surface area, A, of the side of the cylinder is the circumference of the circular base times the height: A = 2nrh. The area of the top and bottom are each nr^2, so the total area of a can is given by the formula A = 2nrh + 2nr^2"

So if you are eager to refute this, go right ahead! I am not mad or attempting to fight your opinions, instead, I am trying to see who is right and who is wrong . . . so -> I can do the problems right!

So plz, tell me what's wrong with the statement above . . . its exactly what the book says about total area and surface area.

If the author is wrong . . . talk to Sharon Weiner Green and Ira K. Wolf from Barron's.

Integral0
Oct10-03, 07:47 PM
I just noticed from HBAR a mistake that I had made when typing in the total area (I didn't mean to multiply 2nrh x 2nr^2, in reality, I meant to put a positive sign.

Thanks HBAR
Hurkyl
Oct10-03, 08:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
The surface area, A, of the side of the cylinder ...
Emphasis mine.
HallsofIvy
Oct10-03, 08:49 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,569
The surface area, A, of the side of the cylinder is the circumference of the circular base times the height: A = 2nrh. The area of the top and bottom are each nr^2, so the total area of a can is given by the formula A = 2nrh + 2nr^2"
No, this is completely correct, but it is NOT what you initially said. You said " For example, the surface area of a cylinder is A = 2 pi rh while the total area of a cylinder is A = 2 pi rh x 2 pi r^2."

Your book says "the surface area of the SIDE of the cylinder" which is not the same as the "surface area of a cylinder".
(Sorry, Hurkyl, I just noticed you had already said this.)

Before you complain about your textbook, read it CAREFULLY.

Mathematics is very, very precise.

(I have friends who remark on how "anal" mathematicians are. Of course,they are generalizing from a very small sample!)
quantum
Oct13-03, 12:07 PM
P: 35
Depends on the context of the question... The surface area may be the area of one side of a cube, whereas the net area may be the sum of the four sides of the cube.
russ_watters
Oct13-03, 09:46 PM
Mentor
P: 22,305
Originally posted by quantum
...the four sides of the cube.
How many sides on a cube?

Sorry, couldn't let it go following a post about how precise math is/has to be.
selfAdjoint
Oct14-03, 07:38 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Every post criticzing spelling will have a typo. Every one criticizing grammar will have a mistake. And apparently every one upholding mathematical rigor will be cursed with a blunder.

To err is human...

Register to reply