Mayan pyramid demolished for road fill

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: demolished, mayan, pyramid, road
Greg Bernhardt
May14-13, 12:34 PM
Admin
P: 8,542
Sad sad sad

A Mayan pyramid that has stood for 2,300 years in Belize has been reduced to rubble, apparently to make fill for roads.
Local media in the Central American country of 334,000 people report the temple at the Noh Mul site in northern Belize was largely torn down by backhoes and bulldozers last week.
"This is one of the worst that I have seen in my entire 25 years of archaeology in Belize," John Morris, an archaeologist with the country's Institute of Archaeology, told local channel 7NewsBelize. "We can't salvage what has happened out here -- it is an incredible display of ignorance."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/world/...amid-destroyed
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
Change 'authoritarian' football culture to produce future stars, says research
Male-biased tweeting
Developing nations ride a motorcycle boom
Evo
May14-13, 01:42 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
The company that did this should be shut down and the owners thrown in jail, along with a fine so hefty that no one else will feel tempted to do such a thing again.
Bobbywhy
May14-13, 06:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,857
Shocking! To destroy this temple was a crime. Too bad any punishment would not bring it back!

256bits
May15-13, 04:04 PM
P: 1,271

Mayan pyramid demolished for road fill

Probably was abandoned and with no upkeep it would have eroded and fallen down on its own anyways in another 2500 years.
arildno
May16-13, 05:50 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Flaying is too good for them.
QuantumCurt
May25-13, 09:27 PM
P: 283
I couldn't believe it when I saw this. This is an important part of human history...and now it's going to be used as filler in road construction. Apparently this has happened several times in Belize, despite these ruins being protected by the government. I guess Noh Mul was the largest one that has been destroyed yet though.

If there's a silver lining to it though, it has allowed archaeologists a glimpse into the construction of the pyramid. Hardly compensation, but it's an opportunity to examine the construction methods more closely, if nothing else.

Pretty sad though.

Register to reply