Adhesion(bonding etc.) of materials without frictional force?

In summary, adhesion is the bonding between two materials through molecular attraction without frictional force. It occurs when molecules of different materials come into contact and interact, creating attractive forces. Various factors such as surface roughness, energy, temperature, humidity, and chemical composition can affect adhesion. It can be measured through techniques like peel tests and can be improved by increasing surface energy, using treatments or primers, proper surface preparation, and optimizing environmental conditions.
limu1116
Hello.

I am studying material physics.

I heard in the class that every adhesion or bonding can occur only with frictional force.

Today, I tried to find a proper reference for this statement but I could not.

Is there any reference that every adhesion or bonding(esp. Injective moldings) can occur only with frictional force?

Or is there any way that can happen without frictional force?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's more that friction forces are adhesion/bonding effects.
What sort of reference do you need? There's no end of papers exploring specific instances for example.

1. What is adhesion?

Adhesion is the bonding between two materials without the presence of frictional force. It is the molecular attraction between the surfaces of two different materials that holds them together.

2. How does adhesion occur?

Adhesion occurs when the molecules of two different materials come into contact and interact with each other, creating attractive forces between them. This can be due to the difference in surface energies or chemical interactions between the molecules.

3. What factors affect adhesion?

The factors that affect adhesion include surface roughness, surface energy, temperature, humidity, and the chemical composition of the materials. All of these factors can influence the strength and durability of the adhesion between two materials.

4. How is adhesion measured?

Adhesion can be measured using various techniques such as peel tests, shear tests, and tensile tests. These tests involve applying a force to the bonded materials and measuring the amount of force required to separate them.

5. How can adhesion be improved?

Adhesion can be improved by increasing the surface energy of the materials, using adhesion-promoting treatments or primers, and ensuring proper surface preparation before bonding. Additionally, choosing materials with complementary chemical compositions and optimizing environmental conditions can also improve adhesion.