Register to reply

Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

by da615
Tags: chaos, dynamics, nonlinear
Share this thread:
da615
Apr6-05, 05:54 PM
P: 24
I recently came across Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Strogatz and I'm recommending it to all my Physics/Applied Math friends. This is a great introductory book on the subject and you don't need any more Math than is taught in a basic Diff. Eq. course.

I love this book 'cause

a) Strogatz gives a simple but comprehensive Mathematical treatment of each topic and interprets the Math at each step. He actually shows you the intermediate steps with diagrams which encourages you to go on reading.

b) His examples involve applications (in Physics, Engineering, Biology, etc. etc.) that are quite often v. fascinating.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
pmullee
Oct13-08, 11:25 AM
P: 1
Hi there,

I recently purchased this book and I am looking for a solution to promlem number 2.2.8.

Would you be able to help me out???

Kind Regards,
Paul
Dublin, Ireland

Quote Quote by da615 View Post
I recently came across Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Strogatz and I'm recommending it to all my Physics/Applied Math friends. This is a great introductory book on the subject and you don't need any more Math than is taught in a basic Diff. Eq. course.

I love this book 'cause

a) Strogatz gives a simple but comprehensive Mathematical treatment of each topic and interprets the Math at each step. He actually shows you the intermediate steps with diagrams which encourages you to go on reading.

b) His examples involve applications (in Physics, Engineering, Biology, etc. etc.) that are quite often v. fascinating.
ytoruno
Oct13-08, 10:15 PM
P: 85
Been looking for a good book on the subject. Thanks

qspeechc
Oct14-08, 01:37 PM
P: 792
Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

So you're saying all I need to read the book is an understanding of DEs? Is that ODEs or including PDEs? In general, do you need to know advanced calculus to study non-linear dynamics?

Register to reply