Cells in series and parallel....

by Cheman
Tags: cells, parallel, series
Cheman
Apr13-05, 04:53 PM
P: 236
How is emf effected by having cells in series and parallel? I would have thought that for both you would just add the emfs of each cell up, since in both ways you arrange them you are just increasing the attraction/ repulsion experianced by the elctrons in wire.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
Gokul43201
Apr13-05, 06:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
[tex]E_{series} = \sum_i E_i [/tex]

[tex]E_{parallel} = max(E_i, ~i=1..n) [/tex]
Cheman
Apr17-05, 02:35 PM
P: 236
But is there a proof for this, either mathematically or in terms of visualised physics?

Surely, each of the cells is going to "push/ pull" the elctrons round ciruit with certain force - why will there arrangement make any difference?

michael376071
Apr18-05, 03:03 AM
P: 11

Cells in series and parallel....

My understanding of it, although probably very flawed , is that if they are in series, think of the batteries working together, once some electrons are pushed along by one, the other pushes even more, and in parallel, there is an equal path for the electrons to go, so they seperate and act as a cell with the same volage, but the 2 will have a higher capacity now, because each is drawing half the current, unless the voltages for the cells are different, then it will short. I still need to get a better idea of what voltage physically is myself My EE instructor doesn't care for the science behind the engineering, so I can blame him for my lack of understanding

Register to reply