Register to reply

Grav field fun!

by Phymath
Tags: field, grav
Share this thread:
Phymath
Apr13-05, 05:40 PM
P: 186
[tex] \vec{g}(x,y,z) = -kG((x^3 y^2 z^2)\hat{e_x} + (x^2 y^3 z^2)\hat{e_y} + (x^2 y^2 z^3) \hat{e_z})[/tex] given this grav field (k is constant)

find the mass density of the source of this field, and what is the total mass in a cube of side 2a centered about the origin?

hmmm well we all know...[tex]\int \int \vec{g} \bullet d\vec{a} = 4 \pi G m_{enclosed}[/tex]

and density [tex] p = \frac{m}{V} [/tex] at least the overall density of it is (non-differential)

sooooo...[tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi G}\int\int\int (\nabla \bullet \vec{g}) dV = m_{source/enclosed}[/tex]

now the limits i made a cube of side 2a, because the flux through a box is easier when g is given in cart coords....any way i get...

[tex]m_{source} = \frac{-2}{3 \pi}G k a^9[/tex] how do I get a neg mass (unless this is dark matter which it very well could be) and I'm thinking i missed something about density cause why would it ask that first and then the mass enclosed second?...a lil help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
dextercioby
Apr13-05, 06:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,928
Are u sure u set the integratiing limits from -a to +a for all three integrals?

Daniel.
Phymath
Apr13-05, 07:07 PM
yes...i am sure

dextercioby
Apr13-05, 07:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Grav field fun!

You forgot about the minus in the RHS of Gauss's theorem for the gravitostatic field...

[tex] \oint\oint_{\Sigma} \vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=\mbox{-}4\pi G m_{\mbox{enclosed by}\ \Sigma} [/tex]

Daniel.
Phymath
Apr13-05, 08:55 PM
i see so that just answers the negative mass problem, now how is it that this grav field increases as you move farther away from the "source" this tells me that the "mass" enclosed is ever increasing i suppose so i guess having the mass enclosed as a function of the flux box side is alright what do you think?
Phymath
Apr14-05, 12:25 AM
anyone? anyone? buler buler?
dextercioby
Apr14-05, 12:28 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Why did u conclude it increases?

Daniel.
Phymath
Apr14-05, 09:26 AM
ok if [tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi G}\int\int\int (\nabla \bullet \vec{g}) dV = m_{source/enclosed}[/tex] then...ill just do it and show you

[tex]\nabla \bullet \vec{g} = -9kGx^2y^2z^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{9k}{4 \pi }\int^a_{-a}\int^a_{-a}\int^a_{-a} (x^2y^2z^2) dxdydz = \frac{2}{3}k \pi a^9 = m_{source/enclosed}[/tex] so as my "flux cube" getts larger obviously it isn't limiting at some value as the function is ever increasing so, the mass should always be increasing yes?
dextercioby
Apr14-05, 10:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Of course the mass increases,but you said about the field.It's not the same thing...

Daniel.
Phymath
Apr14-05, 11:33 AM
alright cool thanks man all that for yes u did it right except a negative sign lol

Register to reply