Register to reply

HS students: what's a 'C' on your grade scale?

by Math Is Hard
Tags: grade, scale, students
Share this thread:
Math Is Hard
Apr21-05, 05:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
My sister's having kind of a rough time in high school this year. I was talking to her about it and I was really surprised to find out what her school's grade scale is:

Numeric Average | Letter Grade | Description

90-100 | A | Excellent Progress

80-90 | B | Good Progress

75-79 | C | Average Progress

70-74 |D | Poor Progress

69 and below |F | Failure

When I was in high school, the scale we had was very similar to what I have in college now. A = (90-100), B= (80-89), C = (70-79), D = (60-69) F = 59 and below.

I've never seen the 70-79 range get split the way it is done at my sister's school. Seems like it's more difficult these days to squeak by with a C! I only had to clear a 70, she has to at least get a 75.

Anyway, I'm here to do a little survey. I would like to hear from high school students on this board if possible. (or people who have recently been in high school or people who have kids in high school, etc). I would like to know if your grading scale is similar to the one at my sister's school.

Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. I am not sure if 90 counts as a B or an A at my sister's school. I pulled these grade scales straight out of the school district's documentation. I am still reading through it trying to find clarification.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Dracovich
Apr21-05, 05:45 PM
P: 87
is that numeric value on a 0-100 scale? Around here (scandinavia) 50% correct is usually a passing grade. I really think there needs to be a universal grading system :) I have no clue how A,B,C's work or the 4.0 scale that american uni's seem to use.
whozum
Apr21-05, 05:45 PM
P: 2,219
A = (90-100), B= (80-89), C = (70-79), D = (60-69) F = 59 and below.

I've never seen it otherwise, does she go to a private school?

Math Is Hard
Apr21-05, 05:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
HS students: what's a 'C' on your grade scale?

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it - please keep it coming- it's great to get opinions from students outside as well as inside the U.S.

whozum, she actually goes to a public school in Texas. go figure.
Berislav
Apr21-05, 05:56 PM
P: 243
Around here (scandinavia) 50% correct is usually a passing grade.
That's how it is where I live (Croatia), as well. I really dislike High School, but thankfully it will be over soon and then I can move on to University.
Math Is Hard
Apr21-05, 06:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Dracovich
is that numeric value on a 0-100 scale? Around here (scandinavia) 50% correct is usually a passing grade. I really think there needs to be a universal grading system :) I have no clue how A,B,C's work or the 4.0 scale that american uni's seem to use.
Yes, it's just a percentage. 90 = 90% correct

Dracovich, I agree with you - there should be a universal system, but I don't know if there is any hope of ever having an international standard for grading if the U.S. scales aren't even consistent among public schools in the same state!
gravenewworld
Apr21-05, 07:17 PM
P: 1,405
At my highschool we went A-100-93 B-85-92 C-78-84 D-70-77 F-69 and below.
Math Is Hard
Apr21-05, 07:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by gravenewworld
At my highschool we went A-100-93 B-85-92 C-78-84 D-70-77 F-69 and below.
Are you in the U.S.? Was your school public or private? Thanks.
gravenewworld
Apr21-05, 08:07 PM
P: 1,405
U.S. Private catholic school
jai6638
Apr21-05, 10:40 PM
P: 269
In my current private school in Connecticut :

A - 90-100
B- 80-89
C- 70-79
D - 60-69

In my previous Indian International School located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates ( Middle east ) We used percentages instaed of letter grades.. We had to secure 40% or more to pass the course/exam. 70% is considered average and 80% or above is considered good..
franznietzsche
Apr21-05, 11:04 PM
P: 1,783
A - 90-100
B- 80-89
C- 70-79
D - 60-69

I was in public high school and we had that system the entire time. And our teachers usually graded on curves, where the maximum possible points was reset to the number of points of the highest grade.
pnazari
Apr21-05, 11:33 PM
P: 10
At my high school (in Canada) we only used numerical system, and a fail was <50% (which is the same at my current university).
Andromeda321
Apr21-05, 11:38 PM
P: 153
From my private school-
90-100 A
80-89 B
70-79 C
Etc. Note we are the only school I am aware of that did not give actual GPAs to students, nor were we ranked. The reasoning behind this was they did not want 41 very intelligent girls getting all cutthroat as we did that enough just for who got cum laude (made for an interesting thing when I applied for scholarships however).
The public high school in my area I should've gone to had I not taken the private school route is as follows (my roommate is shouting over my shoulder that this is how all West Virginian schools are as well, if you're interested)-
94-100 A
85-93 B
78-84 C
Etc. Note that the public school I would've gone to had MASSIVE grade inflation going on so it wasn't that bad (enrolled in AP class= automatic A and such... yea there was a reason I didn't go there!).
Davorak
Apr21-05, 11:56 PM
P: 286
Why do they do this?

Does someone high up in the school district decide that too many people are getting A's or C's. Do high schools get a rep if not enough people fail? Help the local economy by making sure not enough people go to college?

My old high school
AP class
5.0 100 -90%
4.0 89 - 80
... 10% increments
non AP
4.0 100-90%
3.0 89-80
...10% increments

After the year I graduated they had two cum laude one for when counting AP classes as regular 4.0-0 and anther counting AP classes as 5.0-0. It has been ~4 years since then. I think it has been two different people each time.
ek
Apr22-05, 01:14 AM
P: 186
British Columbia Public High School Grade Scheme:

A 86-100
B 73-85
C+ 67-72
C 60-66
C- 50-59
F 0-49
franznietzsche
Apr22-05, 01:35 AM
P: 1,783
Quote Quote by ek
British Columbia Public High School Grade Scheme:

A 86-100
B 73-85
C+ 67-72
C 60-66
C- 50-59
F 0-49

And i thought our education system let people through much too easily.
Math Is Hard
Apr22-05, 01:41 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Thank you everyone. I can't tell you how grateful I am for your feedback.
My sister's had a pretty hard time. On her last report card she fell just barely below 75% in Spanish 2 and Geometry and that was enough to get her kicked off her high school drill team. Not only that, but she's forbidden from even trying out for next year, even if she brings her grades up before the end of the term. She's very upset over the situation.
She's a good kid and she works hard. She does great in her other classes - especially science and health - and I think the school is being a little bit harsh with her.
cepheid
Apr22-05, 03:59 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,197
Wow...I agree. I'm not sure what a "drill team" is, but I'd be willing to bet it has nothing to do with either Spanish or Geometry. (Edit, have just learned it refers to somewhat military-like, parade marching with cool maneuvers, rifle twirling etc.) So I'm guessing that it was your sister's cumulative average that the drill team was using as a criterion, and those two courses managed to lower it past the "cutoff" (?). This fixation on marks for something like a team is ludicrous. Doesn't the fact that she made the team in the first place speak to her worthiness of being on it? What about the skills she's developed as part of the team? Aren't they needed? The analogy to a sports team would be like the coach saying, "well, you're a skilled player and have become an integral part of this team, but you suddenly don't meet our artificial academic standards, so we're going to boot you off."

As illogical as it is, it's quite a common practice I think, that a student's academic performance governs her opportunities in other areas. What really boggled my mind was their unwillingness to reconsider her for this team next year should she once again meet their ridiculous requirements. Huh? So, despite the fact that she is clearly capable of maintaining that standard based on her past performance, the moment she fails to do so, they assume that she never ever will again, and even if she does, it is no longer valid?

Well MIH, you managed to get me all worked up about it. Now if only you can provoke the same response in someone at the school.

Register to reply