Line of Intersection of two Planes

In summary, to find the line of intersection of two planes, set the equations of the planes equal to each other. If one of the variables disappears, the line is in that corresponding plane. If not, solve for the remaining variables to get the equations for the line. Another method is to find the cross product of the normals to the planes and use that to write the vector equation for the line. Then use a given point to find the symmetric equation for the line.
mattmns
How do I find the line of intersection of two planes? I have an idea, but both of the planes have a -2z

ie. Plane 1: 10x-4y-2z=4 Plane 2: 14x+7y-2z

If I set them both equal to each other, I lose the z part. So, is there some other way to solve this, or am I missing something? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The equation for the second plane is incomplete

Daniel.

P.S.If "z" goes,then that line is in the Oxy plane,right...?

dextercioby said:
The equation for the second plane is incomplete

Daniel.

P.S.If "z" goes,then that line is in the Oxy plane,right...?

woops.

Just add =#. I am just curious about the general case of how to solve such a problem.

ie. Plane 1: 10x-4y-2z=4 Plane 2: 14x+7y-2z=6

Also, if z is removed what would the symmetric form of that line be? Would it just not have a z part?

Last edited:
What do you mean symmetric form...?Just set them equal and find the equation giving the line.It should read as linear combo of "x" & "y" yielding 0.

Daniel.

Ok here is the whole problem.

I am trying to find an equation for a line that passes through a point P(x,y,z) and is parallel to the line of interestion of the planes p1, and p2.

For example: Find an equation for the line that passes through the point (0,1,-1) and is parallel to the line of intersection of the planes 2x + y - 2z = 5 and 3x - 6y - 2z = 7.

edit.. Symmetric form of a line in R3.

If L is a line that contains the point [tex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/tex] and is parallel to the vector v = Ai + Bj + Ck then the point (x, y, z,) is on L if and only if its cooridnates satisfy

[tex]\frac{x-x_0}{A} = \frac{y-y_0}{B} = \frac{z-z_0}{C} [/tex]

edit2... fixed the latex

Last edited:
Here's the parametric equation of the intersection of the 2 planes

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{c}z=\frac{15y-1}{2}\\x=7y+2 \end{array}\right [/tex]

I hope it's easy from now.

Daniel.

Killing a fly with a sledgehammer as my hs math teacher would say. How about this, forget the whole finding the equation of the line. Find a point A that is on the interesecting line, and then a point B on the intersecting line, then using the vector AB? I think that will work. Now back to bed. :cool:

edit... And to find the actual equation of the intersecting line doing the same thing would probably work, just replace the point with a point that it is on the intersecting line.

Last edited:
I don't see how the parametric form is a sledgehammer in this case. You still have to find these two points and the easiest way to find them is to write x and z in terms of y then choose two y's. This is exactly what daniel has given you.

Steven

I'm probably missing something but do you really need the equation to the line of intersection to find the line you are seeking? The cross product of the normals to the two planes gives you a vector which is parallel to the line of intersection. The vector equation of the line you want is then r = (vector representing given point) + t(cross product) where t is a scalar.

The symmetric equation for that line can then be easily found.

Last edited:
snoble said:
I don't see how the parametric form is a sledgehammer in this case. You still have to find these two points and the easiest way to find them is to write x and z in terms of y then choose two y's. This is exactly what daniel has given you.

Steven
Yes, you are right the points will still be needed. I meant sledgehammer in the way I was trying to solve the problem, considering that there seem to be much easier routes, not about dex helping me out.

benny said:
I'm probably missing something but do you really need the equation to the line of intersection to find the line you are seeking? The cross product of the normals to the two planes gives you a vector which is parallel to the line of intersection. The vector equation of the line you want is then r = (vector representing given point) + t(cross product) where t is a scalar.

The symmetric equation for that line can then be easily found.
That seems like it will work too, I never thought about that, thanks.

What is the Line of Intersection of two Planes?

The Line of Intersection of two Planes is the line where two planes intersect in space. It is the set of all points that are common to both planes.

How is the Line of Intersection of two Planes determined?

The Line of Intersection of two Planes can be determined by finding the point of intersection between the two planes. This can be done by solving the system of equations formed by the two plane equations.

Can the Line of Intersection of two Planes be parallel?

No, the Line of Intersection of two Planes cannot be parallel because if two planes are parallel, they never intersect. In order for there to be a Line of Intersection, the planes must intersect at some point.

How many solutions can the Line of Intersection of two Planes have?

The Line of Intersection of two Planes can have three types of solutions: it can be a single point (if the planes intersect at one point), a line (if the planes are parallel), or no solutions (if the planes are parallel and do not intersect).

What is the significance of the Line of Intersection of two Planes in real life?

The Line of Intersection of two Planes has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to determine the position and orientation of objects in space, and is also used in 3D modeling and computer graphics.