Have you noticed this?

by honestrosewater
Tags: noticed
Share this thread:
honestrosewater
Jun8-05, 06:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
Why is everyone suddenly using "affect" instead of "effect"? I know it's language and blah blah it changes. But has anyone noticed this, or is it just me? I rarely ever used to see anyone use "affect", and now I see it all the time- when "effect" makes perfect sense.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Justin Lazear
Jun8-05, 07:25 AM
P: 290
In what instances? Sometimes "affect" is the correct word, and sometimes "effect" is the correct word. Naturally, most of the English speakers in the world have no idea that they are not the same word, so it can be pretty irritating if it's one of your pet peeves.

--J
Soilwork
Jun8-05, 07:59 AM
P: 87
Yeah Justin is right.
You're probably just seeing people using it in a sense where it is the correct word to use instead of affect.
Although I'd probably bank on the fact that it might be someone who just doesn't know the difference between to the two words.

honestrosewater
Jun8-05, 08:24 AM
PF Gold
Have you noticed this?

Quote Quote by Justin Lazear
In what instances? Sometimes "affect" is the correct word, and sometimes "effect" is the correct word. Naturally, most of the English speakers in the world have no idea that they are not the same word, so it can be pretty irritating if it's one of your pet peeves.

--J
Well, I guess using "affect" as a noun when they mean "effect". For instance, google "affect on"- over a million hits. Bah, I never paid much attention to the difference, but now it's on my list. No one taught us this in school. Or I was absent that day. Anyway, I'm not really talking about improper use, just that people are using "affect" more than usual. I'm seeing "effect" less and "affect" more.
dextercioby
Jun8-05, 08:26 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,927
You people ought to read books and stop thinking about all sorts of **** during the English classes.

Else,don't go to school,especially since it's not free,nor compulsory.

Daniel.
whozum
Jun8-05, 08:29 AM
P: 2,218
Note dex's meticulous attention to grammar during this specific post
honestrosewater
Jun8-05, 08:32 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Soilwork
Yeah Justin is right.
You're probably just seeing people using it in a sense where it is the correct word to use instead of affect.
It does make sense that as I read more advanced writing, in a more formal setting, I would see "affect" more often, since I think a lot of people are more comfortable with "effect" and use it more often. I used "effect" more often myself, not really thinking about which was correct (until this morning).
dextercioby
Jun8-05, 08:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I always pay attention to grammar.Spelling can be screwed up from time to time,but i may have the excuse of (English) not being my native language.

As for effect vs. affect,it's simply LAME.

Daniel.
honestrosewater
Jun8-05, 08:37 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dextercioby
You people ought to read books and stop thinking about all sorts of **** during the English classes.

Else,don't go to school,especially since it's not free,nor compulsory.

Daniel.
Grammar school is compulsory. And it's something I noticed while I was reading books. And I'm checking to see if others have made the same observation. So Of course, I appreciate your words of wisdom as always.
Justin Lazear
Jun8-05, 08:40 AM
Well, the next time you start examining the effects of your particle accelerator bunny exterminator on cute pink flying bunny rabbits and wish it could effect them more, don't come complaining to me when you drown in your own pool of rabbits.

--J
dextercioby
Jun8-05, 08:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Justin Lazear
Well, the next time you start examining the effects of your particle accelerator bunny exterminator on cute pink flying bunny rabbits and wish it could effect them more, don't come complaining to me when you drown in your own pool of rabbits.

--J
*wondering* Should I tell'im ?

Affect (v. t.) To act upon; to produce an effect or change upon.

Daniel.

P.S.honestlyrosewater,I appreciate your kind words and your irony...
Justin Lazear
Jun8-05, 08:51 AM
Don't worry, dex, it was intentional.

tr.v. ef·fect·ed, ef·fect·ing, ef·fects

1. To bring into existence.

--J
zoobyshoe
Jun8-05, 10:13 AM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by dextercioby
*wondering* Should I tell'im ?
Did you get it yet, dexter, or should we tell you?
zoobyshoe
Jun8-05, 10:20 AM
Quote Quote by honestrosewater
Why is everyone suddenly using "affect" instead of "effect"? I know it's language and blah blah it changes. But has anyone noticed this, or is it just me? I rarely ever used to see anyone use "affect", and now I see it all the time- when "effect" makes perfect sense.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.

I've noticed that people misuse both word here all the time, thinking, I suppose, that they're interchangable, which they aren't. The confusion probably results from the obvious fact that the pronounciation is the same.

Did you know that "affect" is also a noun, with the accent on the first syllable?
arildno
Jun8-05, 10:28 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
"Conan the Barbarian effected his entrance into the Temple of Doom by lopping off the high priest's head. This action affected the high priest's health in a grievous manner"
honestrosewater
Jun8-05, 10:29 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.

I've noticed that people misuse both word here all the time, thinking, I suppose, that they're interchangable, which they aren't. The confusion probably results from the obvious fact that the pronounciation is the same.

Did you know that "affect" is also a noun, with the accent on the first syllable?
Yes, but that was the only part of the definition I remembered reading, and I knew what "effect" meant, so I would just use "effect". It never bothered me and doesn't really bother me now. I had just noticed "affect" being used more than I had seen it used a couple years ago. This is probably just because I am reading more formal works where the mistake is less likely. So it was probably just because of a change in my reading habits, not a change in other people's writing habits.

Anyway, don't keep me hanging. What happens to the bunnies?

Oh, I didn't know the pronunciation. I never really use "affect" as a noun.
bross7
Jun8-05, 10:31 AM
P: 105
Some probably don't know that they are making the mistake (due to English as alternate [not necessarily 2nd] language)
Others because they just don't know the difference (English first language)

And probably more, out of laziness for not spellchecking their post because the figure the affect that their misuse of the words will not effect the posting community.
zoobyshoe
Jun8-05, 10:38 AM
Quote Quote by honestrosewater
Yes, but that was the only part of the definition I remembered reading, and I knew what "effect" meant, so I would just use "effect". It never bothered me and doesn't really bother me now. I had just noticed "affect" being used more than I had seen it used a couple years ago. This is probably just because I am reading more formal works where the mistake is less likely. So it was probably just because of a change in my reading habits, not a change in other people's writing habits.

Oh, I didn't know the pronunciation. I never really use "affect" as a noun.
I am still not sure what you're pointing at. Could you go and get all the definitions of affect and effect in all their parts of speech and post them here for us, then point out the ones you see being mistaken for each other?

Register to reply