Usenet posts

by Gale
Tags: posts, usenet
Gale
Jun13-05, 06:16 PM
P: 676
what's the deal with these sorts of posts that have the little banner at the top that says:

View this Usenet post in original ASCII form

just curious.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
chroot
Jun13-05, 06:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
The LaTeX system here tries to automatically extract math from Usenet posts and display it graphically; it also colorizes the different levels of quotation. The "original ASCII form" is the form actually transmitted over the Usenet.

- Warren
Gale
Jun13-05, 06:21 PM
P: 676
AHA! of course... now... what is usenet then? are the people posting through that not regular members or something?

chroot
Jun13-05, 06:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424

Usenet posts

Usenet is a method of internet communication that predates the world wide web. It is a system used to transmit text information ("news") from one server to other servers; the news propagates from one server to all servers over a period of hours or days. It used to be accessed with a "newsreader," a text-based program which ran on a mainframe or other workstation. Most people access it today with much more sophisticated graphical newsreaders, or web interfaces like groups.google.com.

- Warren
jma2001
Jun14-05, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 89
Quote Quote by Gale17
AHA! of course... now... what is usenet then? are the people posting through that not regular members or something?
Oooohhhh, a young person who has never heard of Usenet ... NOW I feel old.
Hurkyl
Jun14-05, 03:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
Don't worry -- I bet there's lots of old people who've never heard of usenet too.
jma2001
Jun14-05, 06:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 89
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
Don't worry -- I bet there's lots of old people who've never heard of usenet too.
True enough. Well, I don't blame anyone for not knowing about Usenet. Except for a few moderated newsgroups, Usenet has become a wasteland of spam, flame wars, and trolls. Web-based discussion forums like PF and Slashdot have taken its place.

Register to reply