Calculating Work in Terms of Mass and Initial/Final Velocities

• Thread starter marissa12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the particle accelerates from v_initial to vfinal, undergoing displacement s given by s=x_final-x_initial. During a certain interval of time, the particle accelerates from v_initial to vfinal, undergoing displacement s given by s=x_final-x_initial. The acceleration is in terms of v_final, v_initial, and s. The work in terms of m, v_initial, and v_final is W=F*s. The s is still in the equation though. The 2nd part of the problem is w=intergral of { mv*dv} between v_final and v_initial. and we are supposed to express that in
marissa12
a particle of mass m moving in the x direction at constant acceleration a . During a certain interval of time, the particle accelerates from v_initial to vfinal , undergoing displacement s given by s=x_final-x_initial.

Express the acceleration in terms of v_initial, v_final, and s:
that was easy.. i got

a=(v_final-v_initial)/(s/((v_initial+v_final)/2))

since F=ma
W=F*s

the question is Give an expression for the work in terms of m, v_initial, v_final ?

and i can't seem to eliminate the 's' because i end up getting

W=m*a(see above) *s and i can't get eliminate it? any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
the 2nd part of the problem is w= intergral of { mv*dv} between v_final and v_initial
and we are supposed to express that in m_vinitial and v_final

and i got the answer ((m*v_final)^2-(m*v_initial)^2)/2 and that didnt work. i used the basic intergral formula

fint{t*dt between a and b} = b^2-a^2/t

marissa12 said:
the question is Give an expression for the work in terms of m, v_initial, v_final ?

and i can't seem to eliminate the 's' because i end up getting

W=m*a(see above) *s and i can't get eliminate it? any ideas?
can't you use ,

[tex] v_f^2 - v_i^2 = 2as[/tex] ?

the s is still in the equation though

marissa12 said:
the 2nd part of the problem is w= intergral of { mv*dv} between v_final and v_initial
and we are supposed to express that in m_vinitial and v_final

and i got the answer ((m*v_final)^2-(m*v_initial)^2)/2 and that didnt work. i used the basic intergral formula

fint{t*dt between a and b} = b^2-a^2/t
[tex]\int_{vi}^{vf} mv dv = m[v^2/2]_{vi}^{vf}[/tex]

The m doesn't get squared.

marissa12 said:
the s is still in the equation though
substitute for "as" from one eqn into t'other.

oo that's right stupid parentheses.. but i still can't get the first part?

W = Fs = Mas

vf² - vi² = 2as ==> as = ½(vf² - vi²)

So,

W = Mas = M*½(vf² - vi²)
W = (M/2)(vf² - vi²)
================

Last edited:
o wow yea that makes a lot more sense than what i had, i used the wrong eq. lol thank youuu!

What is "solving for variables"?

Solving for variables is a mathematical process of finding the value of an unknown variable in an equation.

Why is solving for variables important?

Solving for variables allows us to find the exact solution to an equation, which is vital in many scientific and real-world applications. It also helps us understand the relationships between different variables in an equation.

What are the steps for solving for variables?

The general steps for solving for variables are: 1) Simplify the equation by combining like terms, 2) Move all the terms containing the variable to one side of the equation, and all the constants to the other side, 3) Isolate the variable by performing inverse operations, and 4) Check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation.

What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. For example, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, and raising to a power and taking the root are inverse operations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for variables are: 1) Not distributing a negative sign correctly, 2) Forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, 3) Making arithmetic errors, and 4) Not checking the solution.