Complex numbers and Argan Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an Argan Diagram to solve for complex numbers represented by points A, B, C, and D. The problem involves finding the values of b and d given that ABCD is a rectangle with certain specifications. The conversation also mentions using methods such as dot product and gradient to solve the problem. However, the person asking for help is having trouble with their solution and is seeking assistance.
coffeebeans
Hi,
I desperately need help with this qns:
In an Argan Diagram, the points A, B, C, D represent the copmlex numbers a,b,c,d respectively. Guiven that ABCD is a rectangle describd in an anticlocwise sense, with AB=2CB, and a=-2-i, c=3+5i, find b and d
(AB and CD are not parallel to the xaxis)

I've tried using dot product and gradient method, by letting B be (x,y), it all comes down to the equation y^2-4y-5+x^2-6-x=0 ---- (1)

|AC| = sqrt 61, and since ABC makes a right angled triangle, CB=1 unit, AB=2 units, therefore AB=sqrt 61 divided by sqrt5 multipled by 2 (pythagoras theorm)

Then i equate that sqrt61/sqrt5 x 2 to the magnitude of AB(i.e. sqrt((x+2)^2 + (y+1)^2) and equated this equation to equation 1 by elimination.

After which i ended up with a weird answer for x. Pleas etell me where I;ve gone wrong!

Any help is greatly appreciated, thnx loads!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track with using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of AB. However, there are a few things that may have gone wrong in your calculations.

Firstly, when you equate the magnitude of AB to the equation you have for AB in terms of x and y, you should not be using the Pythagorean theorem again. Instead, you should be using the fact that AB=2CB, which means that the magnitude of AB is twice the magnitude of CB.

Secondly, when you equate the magnitude of AB to the equation in terms of x and y, you should not be equating it to equation (1). Instead, you should be equating it to the equation for the magnitude of AB, which is sqrt((x+2)^2 + (y+1)^2). This will give you a different equation to work with.

Once you have the correct equation, you can solve for x and then substitute it into the equation for the magnitude of AB to solve for y. This will give you the coordinates of B, and from there you can use the same method to find the coordinates of D.

I hope this helps! Just remember to always check your equations and make sure you are using the correct equations for the given information. Good luck!

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part combined together. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit.

2. What is the purpose of using complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components. They are especially useful in mathematics and physics, where they are used to solve problems that cannot be solved with real numbers alone.

3. How are complex numbers represented on an Argand diagram?

On an Argand diagram, the real part of a complex number is plotted on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis. This creates a two-dimensional graph where complex numbers can be visualized as points.

4. What is the significance of the modulus and argument in complex numbers?

The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the Argand diagram, while the argument is the angle that the complex number makes with the positive real axis. These two values provide important information about the complex number, such as its magnitude and direction.

5. How are complex numbers used in everyday life?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of applications, such as in electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in everyday life, such as in designing video games, analyzing financial markets, and even in medical imaging.