Calculating Rocket Acceleration for a 200 m/s Speed at 1.0km Height

In summary, the formula v_f ^ 2 = v_i ^ 2 + 2ad can be used to calculate the acceleration of a rocket needed to reach a speed of 200 m/s at a height of 1.0 km. The variables needed for this formula are: a (acceleration), d (displacement), v_i (initial velocity), and v_f (final velocity). By converting 1.0 km to 1000 m, the values for the variables can be plugged in to solve for the acceleration. This is a physics formula, not a calculus formula.
ludi_srbin
What acceleration does a rocket need to reach speed of 200 m/s at height of 1.0km. I know that acceleration is velocity over time but I have only velocity and distance. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
So how about the formula:
[tex]v_f ^ 2 = v_i ^ 2 + 2ad[/tex]? Do you know this formula?
Can you go from there? Remember to change 1.0 km into 1000m.
Viet Dao,

That is calculus. Would you mind telling me those variables.

a : acceleration (m / s ^ 2) = ?.
d : displacement (m) = 1000 m.
v_i : initial velocity (m / s) = 0 m / s (The object accelerates from rest).
v_f : final velocity (m / s) = 200 m / s.
Can you go from here?
By the way, I think it is physics, not calculus...
Viet Dao,

O thanks. I tried to look it up in some later chapters but found formulas involving derivations. I didn't know what those variables were so I guessed that you have to use calculus to find way to do it. Thanks for help. :smile:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. Positive acceleration is often associated with speeding up, while negative acceleration is associated with slowing down.

4. How does acceleration relate to Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to the object's mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be if its mass remains constant.

5. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is slowing down or decelerating. It simply means that the direction of the acceleration is opposite to the direction of the velocity.