Force due to pressure on side of a container

by loto
Tags: container, force, pressure
Share this thread:
loto
Sep5-05, 03:42 PM
P: 17
Hi gang,

I'm having an issue with one my homework problems. There is an L shaped tank, 3d in height, 1d in width. The verticle part of the L is 2d in height, and the horizontal part of the L is a 1d box. d = 8m
_
| |
| |_
|_ _|<--Force due to pressure needed for this side.

I need to find the pressure on the right wall of the horizontal part of the L. What I have managed to get so far is the equation:
F=(rho)(g)(width)(height^2)

Not very far, I know. I'm assuming I have to integrate this somehow, but I am unsure as to how to set it up. I'm not really looking for a solution, just a push in the right direction with regards to the integration, or in the correct direction if I am very, very wrong.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Fermat
Sep5-05, 03:57 PM
HW Helper
P: 878
Quote Quote by loto
_
| |
| |_

Is this a Plan view (a view from on top) or a Side view?
loto
Sep5-05, 03:59 PM
From the side, sorry.

Fermat
Sep5-05, 04:00 PM
HW Helper
Force due to pressure on side of a container

Ok, hang on a min.
LeonhardEuler
Sep5-05, 04:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 864
Quote Quote by loto
Hi gang,

I'm having an issue with one my homework problems. There is an L shaped tank, 3d in height, 1d in width. The verticle part of the L is 2d in height, and the horizontal part of the L is a 1d box. d = 8m
_
| |
| |_

I need to find the pressure on the right wall of the horizontal part of the L. What I have managed to get so far is the equation:
F=(rho)(g)(width)(height^2)

Not very far, I know. I'm assuming I have to integrate this somehow, but I am unsure as to how to set it up. I'm not really looking for a solution, just a push in the right direction with regards to the integration, or in the correct direction if I am very, very wrong.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
OK, I can explain this in general but I didn't completely follow all the dimentions you gave. From equilibrium considerations, the pressure at some depth, h is [itex]P_0+\rho gh[/itex] where [itex]P_0[/itex] is the pressure at the surface. The force at this hieght is PA where A is the area. Along the surface of the wall, the pressure is changing with the depth. At a given depth, h, the force is [itex](P_0+\rho gh)ldh[/itex] where l is the length of the wall. Now it is a matter of integrating the infinitesimal forces at each height to get the total force.
loto
Sep5-05, 04:07 PM
We are actually using gauge pressure, so it simplifies the formula you gave a bit. I did get the correct answer using your method, though, so thank you very much.
Fermat
Sep5-05, 04:10 PM
HW Helper
Arrgh, too late!!

Oh, well. What LeonhardEuler said.

I enclose a small piece of work explaining how to do these types of integrals for pressure over a submerged area.

It may be useful for yourself or anyone else reading these posts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Force on end-plate - strips method.pdf (84.6 KB, 75 views)

Register to reply