Max shearing stress problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a shaft with a circular cross section and a torque of 120ft-lb. The diameter of the shaft is 0.750 in and its length is 15 in. The goal is to determine the maximum shearing stress, which was initially calculated as 1448 but the correct answer is 17.39 ksi. The person realized their mistake of not converting the units and has now solved the problem.
Pepsi24chevy
Hey guys, I got a problem that goes like: A shaft with a circular cross section is subjected to a torque of 120ft-lb. Its shaft's diameter is 0.750 in and its length is 15 in., determine the maximum shearing stress.

I did the following: I tried to use shearing stress = Tr/J in which i plugged in as followed (120*.750/2)/(pi/32)*.750^4 and i get 1448, but the answer should be17.39ksi. I assume i am not getting the right answer because I am not factoring in the length but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nm, i figured it out, Stupid me forgot to convert the ft-lb to inch-lb.

Hello,

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track but may have made a few calculation errors. The formula you are using, shearing stress = Tr/J, is correct for determining the maximum shearing stress in a circular shaft. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when plugging in the values.

Firstly, make sure you are using consistent units throughout the calculation. It seems like you have used feet for torque (120ft-lb) and inches for diameter (0.750 in) and length (15 in). It would be best to convert all units to either feet or inches before plugging them into the formula.

Secondly, when calculating the polar moment of inertia (J), make sure to use the correct formula for a circular cross section, which is J = πd^4/32, where d is the diameter of the shaft. In your calculation, it seems like you have used the formula for a solid cylinder, which is πd^4/64.

Once you have corrected these errors and plugged in the correct values, you should get the correct answer of 17.39 ksi for the maximum shearing stress. Remember to always double check your units and formulas when solving engineering problems like this.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the definition of max shearing stress?

The maximum shearing stress is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before it starts to deform or break. It is a measure of the strength of a material.

2. How is max shearing stress calculated?

The formula for calculating max shearing stress is τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the force applied, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This formula assumes that the force is applied parallel to the surface of the material.

3. What factors affect the max shearing stress of a material?

The max shearing stress of a material is affected by its physical properties, such as its strength, elasticity, and ductility. It is also influenced by the type of force applied and the direction in which it is applied.

4. How is max shearing stress different from other types of stress?

Max shearing stress is different from other types of stress, such as tensile or compressive stress, because it involves forces acting in opposite directions parallel to a surface. This type of stress is commonly seen in materials that are being cut, twisted, or in contact with other surfaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of max shearing stress?

Max shearing stress is an important concept in engineering and material science. It is used to design and test the strength of various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It is also relevant in manufacturing processes, such as metal cutting and welding, where materials are subjected to high levels of shear stress.