Proving the Primality of an Integer with a Specific Divisibility Property

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of proving that a given integer p with a specific property must be prime. The hint provided is used to show that if p is not prime, it can be expressed as the product of two integers, leading to a contradiction. Therefore, p must be prime. The importance of considering the positivity of p is also mentioned.
Cableguy008
Hey there, I've been having some problems trying to prove this:

"Let p be an integer other than 0, +/- 1 with this property: Whenever b and c are integers such that p | bc, then p | b or p | c. Prove p is prime. [Hint: If d is a divisor of p, say p = dt, then p | d or p | t. Show that this implies d = +/- p or d = +/- 1.]"

Proving p *can* be prime isn't too difficult, but proving p *must* be prime has really confused me.

I've tried going down the path, gcd(p,b) = p if p | b. Which means p = pn + bm, but since b = px, p = pn + pxm = p(n + mx) => n + mx = 1. This doesn't seem to get me anywhere though.

Then I've tried using b = pn, c = pm and tried various manipulations such as b / n = c / m => bm = cn = pmn but I just don't see how I can get it in the form p = dt.

Now, if I got it to the form p = dt, I'm not sure how I could prove p must be prime. Who's to say its not prime? I don't know it seems like I'm thinking in circles here. (Sorry for not properly defining n,m and x I just assumed they were integers to save time). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately my professor has been out of town for the entire week so I've been unable to seek help from him (its still due though of course :P).

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose p is NOT a prime. Then p= mn for some integers m and n. Let b= m, c= n.

bc= mn is divisible by p but neither b nor c are.

Use their hint. If p=dt then you know p|d or p|t, assume it's the former. So p|d and d|p, which is larger in absolute value, d or p?

"Use their hint. If p=dt then you know p|d or p|t, assume it's the former. So p|d and d|p, which is larger in absolute value, d or p?"

Ok so since p = dt (or nm) p / d = t, since t is an int d | p. If p | d, d / p = 1 / t, so t = +/- 1 and thus d = +/- p. Conversely if p | t, WLOG t = +/- p, d = +/- 1. So d = +/- p or +/- 1 and p is prime. Is this correct?

Cableguy008 said:
"Use their hint. If p=dt then you know p|d or p|t, assume it's the former. So p|d and d|p, which is larger in absolute value, d or p?"

Ok so since p = dt (or nm) p / d = t, since t is an int d | p. If p | d, d / p = 1 / t, so t = +/- 1 and thus d = +/- p. Conversely if p | t, WLOG t = +/- p, d = +/- 1. So d = +/- p or +/- 1 and p is prime. Is this correct?

Looks good, though not exactly what I had in mind. If a|b then a<=b, etc (assuming a, b positive-it's such a pain to work with the integers instead of the naturals here, note there should also be a requirement that p is positive if you mean it to be a prime in the usual sense).

Thanks for the input you two, you've truly helped out.

1. How do you determine if an integer is prime?

To determine if an integer is prime, you must check if it is only divisible by 1 and itself. This means that there are no other numbers that can evenly divide into the integer without a remainder.

2. What is the most efficient way to prove an integer is prime?

The most efficient way to prove an integer is prime is by using the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which is a method for finding all prime numbers up to a given limit. It involves creating a list of all numbers up to the limit and then systematically crossing off all multiples of each prime number, leaving only the prime numbers in the list.

3. Can all prime numbers be represented as a formula?

No, not all prime numbers can be represented as a formula. For example, there is no known formula for generating all prime numbers. While there are some formulas that can generate a large number of prime numbers, there is no one formula that can generate all prime numbers.

4. How do you prove that a very large integer is prime?

Proving that a very large integer is prime can be a challenging task. One method is to use probabilistic primality tests, such as the Miller-Rabin test, which uses random numbers to determine the likelihood that the integer is prime. Another method is to use advanced algorithms, such as the AKS primality test, which can prove or disprove the primality of an integer with certainty.

5. Are there any patterns or rules for finding prime numbers?

While there are some patterns and rules that can help in the search for prime numbers, they are not foolproof. For example, the Sieve of Eratosthenes can help in identifying prime numbers up to a certain limit, but it cannot generate all prime numbers. There are also some patterns, such as the Mersenne primes, that can help in finding certain types of prime numbers. However, there is no known formula or pattern that can generate all prime numbers.