What is the solution to the MI string puzzle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of rules for manipulating a string of characters, specifically adding Us and doubling the characters after an M. The question is whether or not it is possible to produce a string containing the characters MU without violating the rules. After analyzing the operations and the number of I's in the string, it is concluded that it is impossible to have exactly the characters MU in the final string without violating the rules.
croxbearer
I don't know if you have encountered this problem in Logic and Mathematics. Anyway, you may try this:

You are given with an initial string of MI.

Here are the rules:

i) If you have a string that ends with I you can add a U
ii) If you have an Mx, (i.e., an a string that starts with an M, with other characters succeeding it) you can double the characters succeeding the M, i.e., you may lengthen your string by writing Mxx
ii) If you have an III part on your string, you may replace it with a U
iv) If you have a UU in your string, you can drop this altogether, i.e., starting with an MUUU, you can drop the UU, to get MU.

Now, the question is: Could you produce a string containing the characters, MU? (without of course trespassing the bounds of the rules)

Physics news on Phys.org
YES!
initial string "MI"
(rule 2) -> "MII"
(rule 2) -> "MIIII"
(rule 3) -> "MUI" : this string contains the characters MU !

But it's impossible to get the string "MU" as final result.

I am sorry. May I rephrase the question with:

Could you produce a string containing exactly the characters, MU?

croxbearer said:
I am sorry. May I rephrase the question with:

Could you produce a string containing exactly the characters, MU?

Obviously not, since you can never get a string that does not contain at least one I.

Proof:
Consdier how the various operations alter the number of I's mod 3:
1,3, and 4 do not change it at all, and 2 multiplies the total number of I's by two.
Thus you cannot get from a string that has a number of I's that is not zero mod 3 to one that is. Specificall you cannot get from a string that contains one I to one that contains zero.

You can double the x where [tex]M_x[/tex]

3I is equal to U

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3}[/tex]

You are doomed to end up with 1 "I" remaining..

It is possible to get MIIIII (5 I's) so why shouldn't it be possible to get more numbers?

mi->mii->miiii->miiiiiiii->miiiiiiiu->miiiiiuu->miiiii

Last edited:
OK I think i see it now, It seems to be impossible to get to 3 from 1 by doubling, i can get any number mod 3 = 1 or 2.

Oh i was trying to say minimum # of I can only be 1, i didn't mean to rule out "2"

1. How do you solve the MI String Puzzle?

The MI String Puzzle can be solved by following these steps:
1. Start by untying the knot in the middle of the string.
2. Separate the string into two equal halves.
3. Take one of the halves and flip it over.
4. Tie the two halves together, creating a knot in the middle.
5. Untangle the string to reveal the letters "MI".

2. What is the purpose of the MI String Puzzle?

The purpose of the MI String Puzzle is to exercise problem-solving skills and spatial reasoning. It also serves as a fun brain teaser for individuals of all ages.

3. Can the MI String Puzzle be solved in different ways?

Yes, the MI String Puzzle can be solved in multiple ways. Some people may choose to untie and retie the string in a different manner, while others may twist and manipulate the string in various ways.

4. Is the MI String Puzzle suitable for all ages?

Yes, the MI String Puzzle is suitable for all ages. It does not require any prior knowledge or skills and can be solved by anyone with determination and patience.

5. Can the MI String Puzzle be used as a learning tool?

Yes, the MI String Puzzle can be used as a learning tool in various settings. It can help develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and spatial awareness in children. It can also be used in team-building activities and as a stress-reliever for adults.