Register to reply

Problem with units

by Henk
Tags: units
Share this thread:
Henk
Oct14-05, 06:41 AM
P: 22
I'm having great difficulties with CGS-units. In an experiment involving NMR I have to calculate the proton-proton distance in CaSO4.2H2O.

I have done the measurements and they are, I think, pretty good however I have some problems with the calculations because of the units.

The formula I have to use is the following:

a = (3/2)(u*u0)/r^3

where u = 2.79*5.05*10^-27 J/T = 2.79*5.05*10^-24 erg/Gauss and u0 is the Permeability of vacuum. a is something I measured and has a value of 4.5 Gauss.

I know that r should be about 1.5 Angstrom (spelling?). My instructor told me to use CGS-units (thus putting u0=1) but does that mean that the rest of the formula stays the same? Or are there other changes like an additional 4pi or something. If I just put u0=1 I get r = 1.67*10^-8 (but I don't know the units, I believe the CGS-unit for distance is cm in which case r=1.67*10^-10 m = 1.67 A which is pretty close to 1.5 A).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
vanesch
Oct15-05, 04:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,236
Quote Quote by Henk
I'm having great difficulties with CGS-units. In an experiment involving NMR I have to calculate the proton-proton distance in CaSO4.2H2O.
I have done the measurements and they are, I think, pretty good however I have some problems with the calculations because of the units.
The formula I have to use is the following:
a = (3/2)(u*u0)/r^3
where u = 2.79*5.05*10^-27 J/T = 2.79*5.05*10^-24 erg/Gauss and u0 is the Permeability of vacuum. a is something I measured and has a value of 4.5 Gauss.
I know that r should be about 1.5 Angstrom (spelling?). My instructor told me to use CGS-units (thus putting u0=1) but does that mean that the rest of the formula stays the same? Or are there other changes like an additional 4pi or something. If I just put u0=1 I get r = 1.67*10^-8 (but I don't know the units, I believe the CGS-unit for distance is cm in which case r=1.67*10^-10 m = 1.67 A which is pretty close to 1.5 A).
Why don't you do the calculations first in SI units, and convert in the end in CGS ? I also get confused often between CGS, Gaussian, Natural,... etc units concerning EM quantitities because indeed, some include a 4 pi, others don't etc...

So I then do everything in SI units, and fill in the 4 pi in the other units in order to obtain the same result

Register to reply