How Does Decreasing Speed Affect the Angle of Delta-v in Oval Track Motion?

• Thread starter WarpDrive
  • Start date
In summary, when an object moves clockwise with decreasing speed around an oval track, the angle formed by delta-v between two points and the velocity vector at one of the points approaches 90 degrees. However, as the object's speed decreases, the delta-v angle may tend towards some angle greater than 90 degrees due to a component of acceleration pointing towards the center and another component pointing in the opposite direction of the velocity vector. When an object's speed increases, the angle between the acceleration vector and the velocity vector becomes less than 90 degrees. This may be affected by the oval shape of the track.
WarpDrive
"An object moves clockwise with decreasing speed around an oval track." There is also a drawing with two velocity vectors drawn. I was able to draw the vector "delta"-v, based on the two velocity vectors, but how does it change as one point moves closer to the other? In UCM with constant velocity, the angle formed by delta-v between two points and the velocity vector at one of the points approaches 90 degrees. How does that change if the object has decreasing velocity? I was thinking that delta-v might tend towards some angle greater than 90 degrees, as part of it must point towards the center, and part of it must point in the opposite direction of the velocity vector to decrease the speed of the object. I think that that angle might approach some angle less than 90 degrees if the object has increasing velocity. However, I'm not sure about my arguments, so is this how it is, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I forgot to read the errata concerning this problem. How does the change in speed of an object affect the angle between the acceleration vector and the velocity vector at a point. In UCM, the acceleration vector is perpendicular to the velocity vector. If the object's speed is increasing, an additional tangential component of acceleration causes the acceleration vector to point at less than 90 degrees. If the object's speed is decreasing, in this case, I would think the angle would be greater than 90 degrees. But does any of this change because I'm dealing with an oval?

Thanks!

I can confirm that your understanding of the situation is correct. In a uniform circular motion with constant velocity, the angle between delta-v and the velocity vector at one point is 90 degrees. However, in the case of an object moving in an oval track with decreasing velocity, the angle between delta-v and the velocity vector will approach a value greater than 90 degrees. This is because as the object moves closer to the end point, part of the delta-v vector will point towards the center, while the other part will point in the opposite direction of the velocity vector to decrease the speed. On the other hand, if the object has increasing velocity, the angle between delta-v and the velocity vector may approach a value less than 90 degrees. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work in your scientific explorations!

1. How does an object move in an oval?

An object moves in an oval shape when it is under the influence of a force that constantly changes its direction. This force, known as centripetal force, pulls the object towards the center of the oval, causing it to follow a curved path.

2. What is the difference between an oval and an ellipse?

An oval and an ellipse are both closed curves, but an oval is a general term for any elongated shape with rounded ends, while an ellipse is a specific geometric shape with two focal points.

3. Can an object move in an oval without any external force?

No, an object cannot move in an oval without any external force acting on it. This is because an object at rest or in motion will continue to stay at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, as stated in Newton's first law of motion.

4. What factors affect the speed of an object moving in an oval?

The speed of an object moving in an oval is affected by the magnitude of the centripetal force, the mass of the object, and the radius of the oval. The greater the centripetal force and the smaller the radius, the faster the object will move.

5. Why do planets in our solar system move in oval orbits?

The planets in our solar system move in oval orbits due to the gravitational force exerted by the sun. This force acts as the centripetal force, causing the planets to follow curved paths around the sun. Additionally, the elliptical shape of the orbits is a result of the combined gravitational forces of the sun and other planets in the solar system.