Kinetic Pressure: Explanation and Questions

In summary, the average force that the wall exerts on the molecule is impulse/ time (N's second law). The time they have made use of is the time for a 'round trip'. This is an "average" calculation, assuming there are enough molecules that some are striking the wall at any given time. In terms of individual molecules, the force that one molecule contributes is, say, F during the collision, 0 while it is making the trip to the other wall and back. It's average contribution is the impulse divide by the time of the entire trip. You can, if you like, think of it as "total force"- the actual force times the duration of the collision plus 0 times the duration of the trip- divided by
Kenny Lee
Please visit this site for me. I'm having a little trouble with the explanation.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/kinthe.html#c3
Note however that you can find a similar explanation in all textbooks, so I'm in no way questioning the validity of the information.

The average force that the wall exerts on the molecule is impulse/ time (N's second law). But the time they have made use of, is the time for a 'round trip'. Shouldn't it be the time taken for the collision?
Thans

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kenny Lee said:
Please visit this site for me. I'm having a little trouble with the explanation.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/kinthe.html#c3
Note however that you can find a similar explanation in all textbooks, so I'm in no way questioning the validity of the information.
The average force that the wall exerts on the molecule is impulse/ time (N's second law). But the time they have made use of, is the time for a 'round trip'. Shouldn't it be the time taken for the collision?
Thans
This is an "average" calculation, assuming there are enough molecules that some are striking the wall at any given time. In terms of individual molecules, the force that one molecule contributes is, say, F during the collision, 0 while it is making the trip to the other wall and back. It's average contribution is the impulse divide by the time of the entire trip. You can, if you like, think of it as "total force"- the actual force times the duration of the collision plus 0 times the duration of the trip- divided by the total time.

But couldn't we then make use of the 'average' over a longer period; let's say two 'round trips'. In which case, we would obtain a duration of 4d/v. And a different final result.
Or have I misunderstood?

What is kinetic pressure?

Kinetic pressure is the force exerted by a moving object due to its velocity. It is a type of pressure that occurs in fluids, such as air or water, and is caused by the collisions of the fluid particles with the object.

How is kinetic pressure different from other types of pressure?

Kinetic pressure is different from other types of pressure, such as static or dynamic pressure, because it is specifically caused by the movement of an object. Other types of pressure are caused by factors such as gravity or fluid weight.

What factors affect kinetic pressure?

The factors that affect kinetic pressure include the mass and velocity of the moving object, as well as the density and temperature of the fluid it is moving through. The shape and surface area of the object can also play a role in determining kinetic pressure.

How is kinetic pressure measured?

Kinetic pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2). It can be measured using instruments such as a pressure gauge or a manometer.

What are some real-life applications of kinetic pressure?

Kinetic pressure has many practical applications, including in aerodynamics, hydraulics, and meteorology. It is also important in fields such as engineering, medicine, and sports, where understanding and controlling the effects of fluid flow is crucial.