What is the meaning of i, j, k in vectors?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, unit vector notation is a standard way of expressing vectors using i, j, and k to represent the x, y, and z axes respectively. It allows for a more simplified and convenient way of representing vectors without any relative angles. The dot product or inner product of vectors is used to find the length of the "shadow" that one vector projects onto the other, with similar directions resulting in larger shadows and perpendicular directions resulting in no shadow. This notation also allows for easy calculation of velocity by taking the derivative of the position vector.
DB
i've been reading on the internet about vectors and i keep seeing this stuff about "i, j, k". I am learning vectors in physics but my teacher hasnt mentioned any of this stuff. I've read that if "i, j, k" are the components of the x, y and z axis? and that when u multiply two different letters u get 0 and to like letters u get 1. basically what I am asking is can u help me understand wat these letter means n wat we use them for?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's correct. This form of vector expression is called unit vector notation. Vectors can be broken into i j and k, representing the x y and z axes, respectively. Basically it's a more standard way of expressing vectors without any relative angles.

For example, I can express "50 N at an angle of 30 degrees relative to the horizontal" in unit vector notation by finding the x and y components like usual using cos 30 and sin 30 times the magnitude, 50. With unit vector notation, you can just say 43.3i + 25j N (50 cos 30 = 43.3 & 50 sin 30 = 25).

Makes sense?

Last edited:
ya thanks z.c, so basically its like saying 43.3 units along the x axis, 25 units along the y?

wat about the fact that i*j=0 and i*i=1?

DB said:

The "*" there stands for the "dot product", or "inner product" of the vectors. It is basically an orthogonal proyection; it returns the length of the "shadow" that one vector projects over the other one (where this "shadow" falls perpendicularly to the vector into which you are projecting).

Two vectors with similar direction will have large shadows, almost as long as they are. Two vectors with the same exact direction will have shadows exactly as long as they are (hence i*i=1); finally, vectors perpendicular to each other will not project any shadow on each other (i*j=0).

On intermediate directions, you need a cosine to saw this all together.

DB said:
ya thanks z.c, so basically its like saying 43.3 units along the x axis, 25 units along the y?
That's right, and it's convenient to have this form of a combined resultant vector that shows the resultant x, y and z components all together. If we had a k term, we'd have the location along the z axis as well.

Knowing that [tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] (velocity is equal to the derivative of position x with respect to time t), if we have a vector of position in terms of time, we can find velocity by deriving the unit vector.
For example, given [tex]x = 75t^{2}\hat{i} + 1.25t\hat{j}[/tex],
Find velocity by: [tex]v = \frac{d(75t^{2}\hat{i} + 1.25t\hat{j})}{dt}[/tex]

1. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are represented by the unit vectors i, j, and k. The i component represents the magnitude in the x-direction, the j component represents the magnitude in the y-direction, and the k component represents the magnitude in the z-direction.

2. How do you add two vectors together?

To add two vectors together, you must first make sure they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can simply add the components of each vector together to get the resulting vector.

3. Can vectors have negative components?

Yes, vectors can have negative components. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component. For example, a vector with a negative i component would be pointing in the negative x-direction.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by just a number, while vectors are represented by a magnitude and direction, usually using the unit vectors i, j, and k.

5. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, velocity, and force. They are used to model and analyze the motion of objects and systems in the physical world.