Register to reply

Problems Involving Integration Please...

by SpeeDFX
Tags: integration, involving
Share this thread:
SpeeDFX
Nov9-05, 05:11 AM
P: 26
Hi, I'm taking my second semester of physics right now. I do a lot of practice problems from my book and am able to complete the problems marked "difficult" without much trouble. Even though these problems are a little more challenging, they hardly ever employ the use of calculus (integration), which is something my teacher loves to play with. I'm looking for a text book, web site, or any other source that has physics problems that require the use of calculus to solve. I NEEEEEED to practice this, because these problems get me EVERY time.

An example of a problem that my teacher gave my class recently on a test is the following...
"a string hangs from the ceiling. It has a variable linear mass density that is zero at the bottom of the string and increases linearly until it reaches a maximum value at the top. The string has mass M and length L." Find the linear mass density and the speed of transverse wave along this string.
I understood in the case of a string with a constant linear mass density, the speed of a wave will increase as it nears the top of the string, and since in that case the string had a linear mass density that increased towards the top, the same behaviour would be exaggurated (for the lack of a better word). I knew the equation for the speed of a wave along a string, and I know the the linear mass density would some kind of function of x, but I got stuck there and had no idea how to proceed.

Problems like THAT are what i'm looking for. Any help is appreciated
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
SpeeDFX
Nov12-05, 04:53 AM
P: 26
please someone assist me :)
Fermat
Nov12-05, 08:01 AM
HW Helper
P: 876
Why not google on "calculus problems physics", and see if anything there is of use ?

Register to reply