Finding the Tangent Space of SL(n,real) with A(0) being the Identity Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tangent space of SL(n,real) where A(0) is defined as the identity matrix. The speaker first worked on the case of n=2 and found the tangent space to be a space of traceless matrices. They attempted to prove this for n in general but were unable to show the converse. They also mention using the standard result and have found a solution by themselves.
Diophantus
Hi,

I am trying to find the tangent space of SL(n,real) where A(0) is defined to be the identity matrix.

First of all I worked on the case when n=2 and found that the tangent space was

[tex]A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
a & b \\
c & -a
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

where a,b,c belong to the reals,

so I made the conjecture that for n in general, the tangent space would be the space of traceless matrices.

I attempted to prove this by showing that the tangent space and the space of traceless matrices were subsets of each other. Whilst I could show that an arbitary element of the tangent space is traceless, I could not show the converse.

Do I just need to try harder or is my conjecture just plain wrong?

PS. I used the standard result: d/dt (detA(0)) = tr(dA(0)/dt)

I have reason to believe that det(exp(A)) = exp(tr(A)) may also be important but have not found a way of using this yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Done it

Not to worry, I have solved it by myself. It must have just been too hard for you Americans.:smile:

1. What is the purpose of finding the tangent space of SL(n,real)?

The tangent space of SL(n,real) is a mathematical tool used to study the behavior of the special linear group, which is a set of matrices with a determinant of 1. It allows us to analyze the local properties of this group, such as its differentiability and curvature, and is useful in fields such as differential geometry and Lie theory.

2. How is the tangent space of SL(n,real) calculated?

The tangent space of SL(n,real) at the identity matrix A(0) is defined as the set of all matrices X such that A(0) + tX remains in SL(n,real) for all values of t close to 0. This can be represented by the equation A(0)X + XA(0) = 0. This equation can then be solved to find the tangent space at A(0).

3. What does it mean for A(0) to be the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a special type of matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s everywhere else. It serves as an identity element for matrix multiplication, meaning that multiplying any matrix by the identity matrix results in the original matrix. In this context, A(0) being the identity matrix means that we are considering the tangent space at the "starting point" of the special linear group.

4. How does the dimension of the tangent space of SL(n,real) relate to the dimension of the special linear group?

The dimension of the tangent space of SL(n,real) at A(0) is equal to the dimension of the special linear group, which is n^2-1. This is because the tangent space represents the "directions" in which the special linear group can vary from the identity matrix, and these directions correspond to the elements of the group's Lie algebra, which has the same dimension as the group itself.

5. What are the applications of finding the tangent space of SL(n,real)?

The tangent space of SL(n,real) has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in differential geometry to study the curvature and geometry of the special linear group, and in Lie theory to understand the local behavior of this group. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and symmetries in quantum field theory.