Absolute Max/Min of Cube Root (8-t) in [0,8]

• Thread starter scorpa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the absolute max and min of the function t^(1/3)*(8-t) in the closed interval [0,8]. The first step is to find the critical numbers of the equation by taking the first derivative, which results in (1/3)(8-t)-t^(2-3))/(cube root t). One critical value is t=0, but the speaker is unsure how to find the critical number from the numerator. After some discussion, it is revealed that the speaker made a mistake in the exponent when finding the derivative. With the correct derivative, the question becomes easier to solve.
scorpa
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing a question on critical values and absolute max and mins and for some stupid reason I can't seem to get one of the questions that was assigned.

Find the absolute max and/or min of the (cube root t )(8-t) in the closed interval [0,8]

First to solve this found the first derivative so that I could find the critical numbers of the equation, which is where the first derivative equals zero.
So when I found the first derivative I got ((1/3)(8-t)-t^(2-3))/(cube root t)

Now I know that one of these critical values is obviously going to be at t=0. But I'm stumped when it comes to finding the critical number from the numerator. I know this is a really stupid question, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivative seems to be a bit off.

[tex]\mbox{If } f(t) = t^\frac{1}{3}\cdtot (8-t)[/tex]

[tex]f'(t) = \frac{1}{3}\cdot t^\frac{-2}{3}\cdot (8-t) - t^\frac{1}{3} = 0[/tex]
[tex]f'(t) = \frac{(8-t)}{3t^\frac{2}{3}} - \frac{3t}{3t^\frac{2}{3}} = 0[/tex]

Oh geez, I can't believe myself. I wrote the wrong exponent when I was doing the first derivative, I can be such an idiot sometimes. Thanks a lot, the question is a lot easier now...haha.

What is the cube root function?

The cube root function is a mathematical function that returns the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, results in the input number. It is denoted as ³√x or x^(1/3).

What is the domain and range of the cube root function?

The domain of the cube root function is all real numbers, while the range is also all real numbers. This means that the function can take any input and give any output, unlike some other functions which have restrictions on their inputs and outputs.

What is the meaning of "Absolute Max/Min" in relation to the cube root function?

The absolute maximum or minimum of a function represents the highest or lowest possible value that the function can attain. In the case of the cube root function, this would be the largest or smallest value that can be obtained when plugging in any number in the domain.

What is the significance of the interval [0,8] in relation to the cube root function?

The interval [0,8] represents the domain of the function. This means that the input values for the function must be between 0 and 8, inclusive. This interval is important because it allows us to focus on a specific range of values and analyze the behavior of the function within that range.

How can the absolute max/min of the cube root function in the interval [0,8] be determined?

The absolute max/min of the cube root function in the interval [0,8] can be determined by finding the critical points of the function within that interval and evaluating the function at those points. The highest value among the critical points would be the absolute max, while the lowest value would be the absolute min.