Proving One Solution for n^3-n = d^2+d using the Elliptic Method - Learn More!

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof based on the elliptic method that shows only one solution in integers exists for a problem involving the equation n^3 - n = d^2 + d. The conversation also mentions a possible start to the problem and concludes that there are only four solutions: n=0, n=1, n=2, and n=6. However, further clarification is needed on the original problem and its conditions.
ramsey2879
Someone told me that he heard that there is a proof based on the elliptic method that only one solution in intergers exists for this problem. This is beyond me however as I have no experience in this area. Can anyone lead me to a citation of the proof or tell me how to proceed. P.S. I determined that d has to equal the floor of the square root of n^3-n and that n=6, d=14 is a solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
n^3 - n = d^2 + d

n(n^2 - 1)= d(d + 1)
n(n + 1)(n - 1) = d(d + 1)

Clearly n = 2 and d = 2 is a solution. n = 0 and d = 0 or -1, n = -1 and d = 0 or -1, n = 1 and d = 0 or -1...

A start on the problem is to notice that 4(d(d+1))+1 = 4d^2+4d+1 = (2d+1)^2.

Thus we have 4N^3-4N+1 = X^2.

Checking for squares up to N=1000, N non-negative, produces only N=0,1,2,6. This suggests that no other solutions exist

robert Ihnot said:
A start on the problem is to notice that 4(d(d+1))+1 = 4d^2+4d+1 = (2d+1)^2.

Thus we have 4N^3-4N+1 = X^2.

Checking for squares up to N=1000, N non-negative, produces only N=0,1,2,6. This suggests that no other solutions exist
Yes, you are right I miss some important conditions given in the original problem thst excluded n=0,1,2. In my modification I let n=b in the problem below: Let a, b, c,d,e be integers such that none of them equals 1.
Does there exist a set of three consecutive integers,{a,b,c} and
another set of two consecutive integers, {d,e} such that a*b*c = d*e?
So n=0,1,2 are excluded since then one of a,b,c=1. But then N=-1 appears to be a solution, doesn't it?

1. What is the purpose of the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d"?

The equation "n^3-n = d^2+d" is a mathematical expression used to find all possible solutions for the variables n and d. It is often used in algebra and number theory to study patterns and relationships between numbers.

2. How do you solve the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d"?

To solve the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d", you can use various algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or graphing. It may also be helpful to simplify the equation by combining like terms and isolating the variables on one side of the equation.

3. What are the possible values of n and d that satisfy the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d"?

The values of n and d that satisfy the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d" can vary greatly depending on the context of the problem. In general, there are infinite solutions for both n and d, as the equation is a polynomial of degree 3 on both sides. Therefore, the values of n and d can be any real numbers that make the equation true.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d"?

Yes, the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d" has various real-world applications. For example, it can be used in physics to model the motion of objects under certain forces, in economics to study supply and demand curves, and in computer science to optimize algorithms and data structures.

5. What are some alternative forms of the equation "n^3-n = d^2+d"?

The equation "n^3-n = d^2+d" can also be written in the following forms:
- n^3-d^2 = n+d
- n(n^2-1) = d(d+1)
- (n^2-1)(n+1) = d(d+1)
- n^3-n-d^2-d = 0