Recent content by aletheia

  1. A

    Undergrad Spatial separation of entangled particles implies physical separability?

    It took me a long time to fully comprehend the QM terminology of what “separation” can mean in quantum entanglement; I would now distinguish at least ten notions of it: Spatial separation — A and B occupy distinct spatial regions. Operational distinguishability — A and B can be separately...
  2. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    Of course professional scientific literature doesn’t support what I saw, cause I wouldn’t say that I have claimed anything more than an observation. I’m obviously not claiming anything against mainstream physics — I’m just having a hard time trying to understand these things.
  3. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    Lucky for you that you don’t have to believe in it — you can easily check it for yourself…
  4. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    Yes… In the first butter experiment, I would expect that the butter would start melting where it was. In the video of this experiment, the butter stays still for 17s, then it crosses 15cm in 4s and melts in the hotter region. So I modified the experiment, creating an inclined plane, using...
  5. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    @erobz Ok. So we can assume that the butter shouldn’t melt upwards, i.e., against gravity (assuming that the heat source is at a higher gravitational position)?
  6. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    I totally understand your point and I partially agree: thermodynamics, as a field of physics, is not the (sole) determinant here — there will be other important correlate fields, e.g., solid conduction in steel, phase change in the butter, capillarity, wetting hysteresis, geometry, gravity...
  7. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    I’d like to thank everyone so far — it’s being pretty helpful for my understanding of thermodynamics and I really appreciate your attention. Nevertheless, non-equilibrium thermodynamics requires a much better understanding for someone to understand its causality. With that in mind, I design...
  8. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    Ok, I understand that it may not be very simple to determine the outcome quantitatively from this setup, nevertheless, qualitatively, I would expect, in the case of the fire-water-ice experiment, for instance, that, while having ice on the surface and heat from beneath, that the temperature at...
  9. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    I’ll dig into it — thanks for the suggestion. @Dale I appreciate your attention and I apologize if my doubts seem naive. I understood that the convection cycle is at motion at the very moment the heat source is turned on, and that the motion upward and downward start also simultaneously...
  10. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    I’ve been doing it and it is indeed good for seeing the motion, specially in oil, but my doubt is more about where the cycle begins, because, visually and from the data from the thermometers, it makes me wonder if it starts by colder mass sinking before hotter mass rises, but that doesn’t seem...
  11. A

    Undergrad How exactly does convection motion start?

    I’m having trouble understanding how exactly non-equilibrium heat-transfer initiates convection, whether or not phase change is involved. Consider the following experiments. First: heating soy oil in a glass kettle on a regular gas stove; 4 probes — at the bottom, midway, near the surface...
  12. A

    Undergrad Spatial separation of entangled particles implies physical separability?

    Yes, I did and it was insightful. Even though I might not have been able to express me as clearly as I expected, your help along with the help from the other members has been very enlightening for my understanding of quantum mechanics. Nevertheless, I’ll stop trying to push it further into my...
  13. A

    Undergrad Spatial separation of entangled particles implies physical separability?

    @Matterwave @bhobba From the Bertelsmann’s Socks and the Nature of Reality we have two useful images that I have edited to better illustrate my question. First: brings the assumption that at the preparation both particles are physically separated — meaning that they would have lost their...
  14. A

    Undergrad Spatial separation of entangled particles implies physical separability?

    @Matterwave @bhobba Thanks to you, we're closer to what I was actually asking. “EPR made an implicit assumption in their argument that indeed you can stop the two particles from interacting with each other eventually. If the interaction never stops, their argument (that QM is incomplete)...
  15. A

    Undergrad Spatial separation of entangled particles implies physical separability?

    @PeterDonis @Matterwave They state that the systems interact until T, “[...] let us suppose that we have two systems, I and II, which we permit to interact from the time t =0 to t=T, after which time we suppose that there is no longer any interaction between the two parts.. [...]”, without...