Recent content by .Scott
-
What Is The Data Center Story?
Me too. LEO tech support. Will it be done in house or will it get farmed out to an "Accenture on Orbit", "Tata on Orbit", or "IBM on Orbit"? Someone offering 360/7 service.- .Scott
- Post #16
- Forum: Computing and Technology
-
New Member with an interesting story
Hello Mike. From one cool peep to another, welcome to PF.- .Scott
- Post #2
- Forum: New Member Introductions
-
World's Worst Video
Given those reviews, I won't bother checking it out.- .Scott
- Post #2
- Forum: General Discussion
-
How would i open these doors on a gate I plan to build
Speaking roughly, a solid oak door 12m x 3m x 0.2m with a specific gravity of 0.75 would be 5.4 metric tons. If you use a turntable, it could be handled with this McMaster turn table for about $600. For hinges, you might consider at least two of these weld-on hinges ($1515 each). Clearly, the...- .Scott
- Post #13
- Forum: General Engineering
-
Musical instruments and their harmonics
I have done this kind of thing before, in some ways cruder, in some ways more elaborate - and using the "C" language. I was looking for the pixels/line count (from hsync to hsync) in analog video signals. So I over-sampled the video signal, looked at the sample-to-sample transition "delta"s... -
How would i open these doors on a gate I plan to build
@OliverStJohnMollusc will need to know of the mass of door and an estimate of the maximum side forces (including strong winds) before he can select exactly how the axis will be supported at the top and especially at the bottom.- .Scott
- Post #11
- Forum: General Engineering
-
How would i open these doors on a gate I plan to build
I might move the axis of rotation (the hinge axis) a 2 or 3 inches inward away from those walls. Then I would support the entire weight of a door on a post that was about 3 inches in diameter and centered on that rotation axis. That post would be supported below ground by a foot or more. That...- .Scott
- Post #2
- Forum: General Engineering
-
AI Anthropic Claude sees CRISPR-like array in bacteriophage DNA
Thanks for that info. As I said, it was topic number one for all of the initial readers of that press release. I presumed it to be an accurate criticism - but I take your post as authoritative. My first reaction (shared to no one) to those initial posts that mentioned the PhD issue but nothing...- .Scott
- Post #4
- Forum: Biology and Medical
-
What do pro photographers notice: men v. women
You've likely never had a daughter - or if you have, you never tried to buy anything for her that she would wear. In the default mundane cases, where there is no dress code or other explicit expectations, and with the most typical adults, men will dress for utility and women will dress for...- .Scott
- Post #2
- Forum: General Discussion
-
AI LLM: Getting the question right
I've made a handful of posts to PF where I have used an LLM to assist me with the post - always with attribution (always ChatGPT). And I have remarked in a couple of cases how I needed to present several questions to the LLM before it finally caught on to what I was asking. In those cases, I...- .Scott
- Thread
- Replies: 17
- Forum: AI and Computer Science
-
AI Anthropic Claude sees CRISPR-like array in bacteriophage DNA
Yesterday, issued a press release announcing (in part): Today, we’re sharing early results from one of our first research programs, in which Claude autonomously discovered a novel enzyme system that is associated with an array of DNA repeats, a pattern reminiscent of CRISPR. Although we don’t...- .Scott
- Thread
- Replies: 8
- Forum: Biology and Medical
-
Prevent brain cell death to achieve immortality or near immortality?
There a silent assumption here - that you would need your biological brain to remain the person who you are. Von Neumann computers (what most of us are using daily) include nothing that could support hard consciousness. But if you want a durable consciousness engine, one that can go millennia...- .Scott
- Post #5
- Forum: Biology and Medical
-
How do atoms build thoughts and emotions?
I will go one up on this. A possible, perhaps likely, way of understanding human consciousness will be to: 1) model human thoughts, emotions, decision-making, etc. on a computer; 2) implement the design in hardware, including quantum processing components; 3) compare it to human responses and...- .Scott
- Post #177
- Forum: Biology and Medical
-
What Is The Data Center Story?
About that discussion on energy from tidal energy systems. There are tidal effects, primarily from our orbiting moon. And there are waves, primarily from meteorology. And, just to avoid any word play, there are tidal waves, from geology. If you dammed up a section of ocean shore and installed...- .Scott
- Post #14
- Forum: Computing and Technology