Recent content by yzp123

  1. Y

    Undergrad Why doesn't gravitational acceleration make satellites fall to Earth?

    Hmm. But the acceleration of a satellite is still a constant acceleration, right? Instead of the speed changing, the direction is changing, so can we still say it's 9.8 m/s^2, but whereas a baseball falling at that acceleration would have its speed changing without a direction change, a...
  2. Y

    Undergrad Why doesn't gravitational acceleration make satellites fall to Earth?

    I think it's starting to make sense to me. So the 10th second after the satellite's release it doesn't fall a larger number of units (toward the Earth vector) than it does in the 1st second after release? However, can the fall toward Earth still be described in 9.x m/s^2, or is this only for...
  3. Y

    Undergrad Why doesn't gravitational acceleration make satellites fall to Earth?

    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that it will fall the same distance toward the Earth in each passing second, instead of traveling more units in each passing second? So because the direction of acceleration is constantly changing, it resets to a constant 9.8 (edit: mistake, I should...
  4. Y

    Undergrad Why doesn't gravitational acceleration make satellites fall to Earth?

    I've studied the basics of this in a physics textbook, and have searched on this forum, but one thing about this escapes me. My understanding is that a satellite is elevated somewhere above the Earth's atmosphere where air resistance is negligible. The satellite is then accelerated to a very...