PF PHOTO CONTEST - Year of the Rat (2/2-2/8)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 7K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
32,819
Reaction score
4,724
Year of the Rat

This week, we will be celebrating the Chinese Lunar New Year, the Year of the Rat. So pictures of rats, mice, Chinese New Year festivals, or Chinese culture will qualify for this contest.

Happy Chinese New Year to all our Chinese members!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If this isn't a Disney-friendly topic, I don't know what is. :-p
 
At the chinese festival of lights. Night shot long exposure, A pretty chinese girl got caught in the shot.

IMG_7501.jpg
 
What qualifies here appears to be confusing.:biggrin: I like the entries so far, though.
 
GeorginaS said:
What qualifies here appears to be confusing.:biggrin: I like the entries so far, though.

Rats, mice, Chinese New Year festivities, or anything on Chinese culture. A dog doesn't qualify, even if the specie or its name has anything related to the list above.

Zz.
 
我很喜欢春节,可是,我没有春节画儿。
(I really like Chinese new year, however, I don't have any pictures.)
 
(As do I...also the anime fruit basket...yuki is of the rat...but it's the zodiacs I believe or something can't remember, I am getting sidetracted lol, I gots homework. Nice pictures by the way guys)
 
No, only rats and mice. This is because in Chinese language, as I've been told, there's no distinction between what we call "rats" and "mice".

Zz.
 
hongKong.jpg


Hong Kong 1982 New Year festival
 
Last edited:
I cannot pass up the opportunity for a China-related photo contest.

TerracottaW_small.jpg

Above: Terracotta Warriors in Xian, China.

Also, ZapperZ, I have a picture of a building in the Temple of Heaven (in Beijing), which looks a lot like the building in your picture [and possible also like many other old Chinese buildings]. Yours however, is nice a new looking, whereas mind is hundreds of years old and has considerably more wear and tear.
 
hypatia said:
hongKong.jpg


Hong Kong 1982 New Year festival

Very nifty shot. How did you capture that, hypatia?
 
I used a zoom lens, in reality I was about 20 feet from it, the noise still made me jump. A good foot of it had already gone off, befor I composed myself enough to take a photo. I had set the shutter speed very fast, trying to capture a dancing dragon.
My Grandmother would take me with her about every 5 years. 1982 was the last year we went.