Photo Contest Champions (5/10-5/17)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Contest Photo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 4K views
Mk
Messages
2,040
Reaction score
4
PF Photo Contest Champions
It has been exactly TWO YEARS since our weekly photo contest has started, and it comes the time to pit our best photos against each other in a single thread to celebrate and conclude. There is one week to select your best photo from any of the years' contests to see who are the PF Photo Contest Champions.

For this special occasion, I think we can stretch the one-time submit rule. I am eager to see what will be judged the Physics Forums Photo Contest's best photo :smile:.

All of the previous contests can be found in the PF Photo Contest Winners thread.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. Any other form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a special effect contest.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sad..I've got nothing better to enter but here it is. (from the "Are you for Real" contest)
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5167/imgp0634gy3.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is my entry from the "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" contest.

hawthorne.jpg
 
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5408/image0vw0.jpg

Here's mine from "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" or some title like that. I think I only tied for third because I was new to Imageshack and it screwed it over when I told it to resize. Now that I see that most people just upload full size, that's what I did. Bite me for it like I know some smartass will.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooo this should prove interesting. All gorgeous entries already.
 
From the "When You Wish Upon a Star" contest

http://home.comcast.net/~larkspur2020/Milkyway.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
2333530956_274386aae1.jpg

The Spurn lightship at night. Think this is one of my faves that I've entered.

This contest will be brutal.
 
IMG_1005.jpg


From the 'Silhouette' contest.

And happy contest anniversary! :)
 
Last edited:
Wow, these are some really beautiful pictures in, I love larkspur's. Here's my submission, from close-up week:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2217/ferrozd5.jpg

Reflections on ferrofluid.

The polls are made on the 17th of May, so get your photos in!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sunset in San Pedro, CA. Taken with Nikon D100 back in 2004 (IIRC). Used 50/1.8D with Cokin 3 stop GND and b&w polarizer. Informed Mk before posting.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9531/10ks4ti9.jpg

Here's a slightly larger version: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1550/10ks4sa9.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately most of my pictures were on a domain, which is gone now. But here is the last entry from "sick as a dog":

mainau1.PNG
 
Jeez.. this is going to be the toughest one to decide a winner from yet!
 
larkspur said:
http://home.comcast.net/~larkspur2020/Milkyway.jpg
[/URL]
How did you take that picture?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
How did you take that picture?
The camera was on an equatorial mount with a clock drive mount and the shutter was held open with a remote shutter cable IIRC about 280 seconds.