What are some highlights of the Oregon Country Fair?

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary, Tsu and I were discussing yesterday of getting a bunch of people together from the Pacific area or North America to meet at the Oregon Country Fair this year. Might be fun. With fuel prices the way they are, I was thinking of car pooling, or perhaps bicycling the 120 miles from Portland. (It's been at least 30 years since I've cycled 250 miles in a weekend. I might need some encouragement.) There is much soap to be purchased there. It is a place full of magical spirits that will send all your angst spirits back to hell where they belong. And there is the energy park... Where hippies pretend to solve the worlds
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Tsu and I were discussing yesterday of getting a bunch of people together from the Pacific area or North America to meet at the Oregon Country Fair this year. Might be fun.

With fuel prices the way they are, I was thinking of car pooling, or perhaps bicycling the 120 miles from Portland. (It's been at least 30 years since I've cycled 250 miles in a weekend. I might need some encouragement.)

There is much soap to be purchased there.
It is a place full of magical spirits that will send all your angst spirits back to hell where they belong.
And there is the energy park... Where hippies pretend to solve the worlds problems with bio-diesel fuels, solar panels, and naked showers.

Did I say naked, co-ed showers? :bugeye:

Sorry...

It's a marketing ploy. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
As opposed to non-naked showers?

WarPhalange said:
As opposed to non-naked showers?

I actually did that at a marine base down in San Diego a few years back. I went into the shower and a whole crapload of youngsters came in and started staring at me. I slowly put my bathing suit back on and said several "hail mary, mother of god, what on Earth are these youngsters so fascinated with". And I'm not even catholic...

Yes, I think we should plan a PF day at the Oregon Country Fair. All West Coasters are invited! Actually Mid-West and East-Coasters are invited, too. But YOU guys are REALLY going to want to carpool! :biggrin:

It's the weekend of July 11-13. Here's the webpage again with more info.

http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

MIH! Can you come up for the festivities?? You can sleep in our guest room with Little Tyke kitty for company... :biggrin: EVO! MOONBEAR! You TOO? Bring the Turbo RV!

So, which day might it be?

Which day would work best for you? OmCheeto wants Saturday. I sort of wanted Sunday - only because I work until midnight on Friday so I sleep a good part of Saturday - whether I'm in bed or NOT! :biggrin: I'd sure hate to sleep thru OCF! But I'm open to Saturday, too. I could always find someone to work for me on Friday...

Tsu said:
Which day would work best for you? OmCheeto wants Saturday. I sort of wanted Sunday - only because I work until midnight on Friday so I sleep a good part of Saturday - whether I'm in bed or NOT! :biggrin: I'd sure hate to sleep thru OCF! But I'm open to Saturday, too. I could always find someone to work for me on Friday...

I always sleep through the fair... I say we meet up on Sunday. That's usually the day I wake up and say to myself; "It's time to go home now. Poopedy poop poop poop."

OK. Sunday it is! But you'd better NOT be sleeping through THIS fair, OmCheeto.
altho I DO have my ways of keeping folks awake...:biggrin:

Hey, make a thing at the da Vinci days too! Is OCF this early? Cause my dad and I are coming up to Oregon for 3 weeks in July. We could give you a ride for part of the way Om...

I like da Vinci days. :biggrin:
http://www.davinci-days.org/
Especially if the Austin City Lounge Lizards are there singing "Life is Hard - But Life Is Harder When You're Dumb"

Where are you coming FROM binzing and what dates will you be here? DaVinci Days are the weekend AFTER OCF.

Yeah, I just looked it up. My dad and I are from New Mexico, but he grew up in Curvallis, and we have lots of family and friends there and all over the Northwest. We'll be there for the last three weeks of July.

binzing said:
Hey, make a thing at the da Vinci days too! Is OCF this early? Cause my dad and I are coming up to Oregon for 3 weeks in July. We could give you a ride for part of the way Om...

No thank you. I was just kidding about the bike ride and carpooling. Unless of course anyone else needs a ride.

I rode with my hippie friends in 2006. They left me at the fair... :cry:

Fortunately our campground was only 26 miles away and I only had to walk 23 of those before they picked me up. Never trust a hippie.

The trek wasn't all bad. About 3am, as I was plotting their deaths, god tapped me on the shoulder and said; "Remember Job...".

What could I do? Not forgive them? I mean, it wasn't like I'd gone blind and had horrid boils or anything.

Last year, just to show that there were no hard feelings, I made a google earth, mini Bhutan death march T-shirt, highlighted in red of course, symbolizing the trail of OM-blood! :devil:

ocfdeathmarch.JPG

I'm not sure they've forgiven me for that. :rolleyes: o:)

Really though, we'll be around Corvallis and Philomath for a good part of our time there, wouldn't be a problem to take you down to there, we prolly know someone else who could give you a ride the rest of the way. Might have to share the back seat of my dad's Saab 900 with our friendly dog Foxy, but hey, free transport...

binzing said:
Really though, we'll be around Corvallis and Philomath for a good part of our time there, wouldn't be a problem to take you down to there, we prolly know someone else who could give you a ride the rest of the way. Might have to share the back seat of my dad's Saab 900 with our friendly dog Foxy, but hey, free transport...

Does your dad have a trailer hitch. I usually take a boat load of stuff(literally). I camp for 4 days, so I take a large cooler for all the beer and tequila and food(that I never eat because I stuff myself at the fair), tent, sleeping gear, 2 solar panels, 70 lb deep cycle battery, 150 lbs of firewood, 42 changes of clothes(I should'a been born a woman), 100 lbs of trinkets collected over the last 20 trips to the fair, and, um, snacks of course.

And as far as meeting at the fair, I'll be there all three days. Just look for a little old pudgy grey haired man in tie dye.

OmCheeto said:
And as far as meeting at the fair, I'll be there all three days. Just look for a little old pudgy grey haired man in tie dye.

:rofl:...like you'll be the only one there who meets that description...! Maybe you should fly a PF flag over your campsite!

lisab said:
:rofl:...like you'll be the only one there who meets that description...! Maybe you should fly a PF flag over your campsite!

We have a flag?

OmCheeto said:
We have a flag?

We can come up with one - there are some very creative folks amongst us!

We should, and then I can put it on a tee shirt and then Ivan or (hopefully by that time) Tsu, would be able to spot me at da Vinci days...

Oh, and yes Om, we do have a trailer hitch. Dunno if we are going to be taking one or not though. It's a possibility though, cause my dad is doing some carpentry for my aunt and uncle. Also, about going beyond Corvallis, I might be going down to Junction City to stay with my cousin for a while, so that might work.

So (CRAP!) having broken my hip, I will have to wait until next year to go to the fair. Geez. I'm so bummed out. :frown: :cry: This is going to be a bummer summer. I'm going to have to sit in a chair outside and read all summer. Hmmmm... Well, maybe that part isn't too bad. But no gardening, etc. Guess I'll have to call a yard service for a while. Oh well... Crud.

Tsu said:
So (CRAP!) having broken my hip, I will have to wait until next year to go to the fair. Geez. I'm so bummed out. :frown: :cry: This is going to be a bummer summer. I'm going to have to sit in a chair outside and read all summer. Hmmmm... Well, maybe that part isn't too bad. But no gardening, etc. Guess I'll have to call a yard service for a while. Oh well... Crud.

...:bugeye:...:eek:...:grumpy:...:mad:...:frown:... :cry:

Dear or dear oh dear oh dear...

And the fair was all your idea.

This is just dreadful.

Is there anything I can get for you at the fair? Chocolate? Fudge? Frisco Burgers? Frozen chocolate & nut covered banana's on a stick?

:smile:

OmCheeto said:
...:bugeye:...:eek:...:grumpy:...:mad:...:frown:... :cry:

Dear or dear oh dear oh dear...

And the fair was all your idea.

This is just dreadful.

Is there anything I can get for you at the fair? Chocolate? Fudge? Frisco Burgers? Frozen chocolate & nut covered banana's on a stick?

:smile:

I know. SUCKS, doesn't it? Sure - you can get me ALL those things! Maybe some little soaps like MIH's Cochons? :biggrin:

Tsu said:

Sitting in a chair and reading all summer sounds sublime! Though, ONLY being able to sit in a chair and read all summer sounds like much less of a treat.

I thought Ivan's extra digging foot helped him do the gardening better.

And why do I have this image of Sister Tsu sitting on her throne ordering around all the workers this summer? :biggrin:

I hope you have some good painkillers right now. From the sounds of the fair you were all planning to attend together, taking your painkillers just might imitate the experience pretty well. :uhh: :biggrin:

Frozen, chocolate covered bananas! I haven't had those since I was a kid! Yummy!

Has Ivan rigged up a sling to hoist you up into the trees so you can use your chainsaw to cut down tree limbs?

(just trying to be helpful)

:biggrin:

Geeze Tsu, you are going to get so tired of sitting. Kurdt, get that kevlar bubble rap suit for Tsu tout de suite! We need to get her covered before the ice comes this winter!

Moonbear said:
I hope you have some good painkillers right now. From the sounds of the fair you were all planning to attend together, taking your painkillers just might imitate the experience pretty well. :uhh: :biggrin:

Yes and Tsu may make some rather strange posts over the next few weeks. :biggrin:

I have to give her subQ shots in the belly! And that's not even for the fun stuff. It is a blood thinner.

Last edited:
Tsu said:
I know. SUCKS, doesn't it? Sure - you can get me ALL those things! Maybe some little soaps like MIH's Cochons? :biggrin:

Hmmm. I'm going to have to make a list:

Tsu: Everything I like + Cochon's
Moonbear: Goat's milk soap. (I don't remember ever seeing this at the fair, but I'll look. Tsu say's her friend makes it so when I drop off her stuff, I'll pick some up from her.)
Evo: Chocolate.(I know, at one time or another, I've promised you chocolate.)

Anyone else?

Hah, thanks OM, but Tsu was just kidding. Her diet is pretty limited right now.

btw, how did you come up with OmCheeto as a username?

Ivan Seeking said:
btw, how did you come up with OmCheeto as a username?

It's Cantonese for "I know nothing".
It's from a hobby of mine that I started about 5 years ago.
I'd like to collect the saying in as many languages as possible.
So far I can say it in about 30.
The rule is, I can only learn the phrase from someone who speaks the language. No googling.
I find it a great way to break the ice when speaking to strangers from strange lands. They always give me a weird look when I ask how to say it in their language. But after I explain myself, they usually open up. Foreigners can be so shy.

Oh, and since Tsu has so much time on her hands now, perhaps she can get working on that algae costume I pm'd her about.

Here's a picture from last year's fair similar to what I was thinking about. This character was really mesmerizing to watch. He would take a step, and then freeze motionless for what seemed like an eternity. People would walk by him thinking he was just another tree in the forest, and then he'd move and freak everyone out. This was the only image I have where he was out in the open.

OCF07TrMa.JPG

In all the other shots, you can barely make him out against the forest.

OCF2007TrMaCo.jpg

Perhaps I should post an OCF picture every day. Might make Tsu homesick, and heal faster. o:)

The most popular t-shirt at the 2004 OCF.

hippie.jpg

damn... did they forget to vote?

Last edited by a moderator:

What are some highlights of the Oregon Country Fair?

The Oregon Country Fair is an annual event that takes place in Veneta, Oregon. It is a celebration of art, music, and community that has been going on for over 50 years. Some of the highlights of the fair include:

1. What kind of music can I expect to hear at the fair?

The Oregon Country Fair features a wide variety of musical performances, ranging from folk and bluegrass to rock and electronic music. There are multiple stages throughout the fairgrounds, each with its own unique lineup of performers. You can check the fair's website for the full schedule of musical acts.

2. Are there any notable art installations at the fair?

Yes, there are many incredible art installations at the Oregon Country Fair. These include large-scale sculptures, interactive art pieces, and colorful displays of all kinds. Many of these installations are created specifically for the fair and are not seen anywhere else.

3. Is there anything for children to do at the fair?

Absolutely! The Oregon Country Fair is a family-friendly event and there are plenty of activities for children to enjoy. There is a dedicated area called "Youth Plaza" where kids can participate in workshops, games, and other fun activities. There are also many performances and shows specifically geared towards children.

4. What kind of food options are available at the fair?

The Oregon Country Fair is known for its delicious and diverse food options. You can find everything from traditional fair food like corn dogs and funnel cakes to international cuisine and vegetarian/vegan options. There are also many food vendors that use locally sourced and organic ingredients.

5. Are there any camping options at the fair?

Yes, there are several camping options available at the Oregon Country Fair. You can choose to camp on-site in designated camping areas, or there are also nearby campgrounds and hotels available. It is recommended to book your camping accommodations in advance, as they tend to fill up quickly.