Accepted to Notre Dame REU Program - Seeking Experiences

• Thread starter DarkEvilEmu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the Notre Dame summer REU program and asks for any personal experiences or information about the university's physics program, on-campus living, and religious influence. A friend of the speaker participated in the program and was disappointed with the lack of research experience, but it ultimately depends on the advisor one is paired with.
DarkEvilEmu
I just got accepted into Notre Dame's summer REU program. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Notre Dame before (or better yet, participated in their REU program).

The quality of their physics program, their on-campus living situation, the amount of religion they push (I'm not Catholic, and Notre Dame is a Catholic institution), or anything else you could tell me would be helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A friend of mine (Christian, not Catholic) did that REU a few years ago. She was pretty disappointed by it overall; she didn't feel like she got any real research experience. But it really depends on who you end up working with; the wrong adviser can leave you like that anywhere.

1. What is the Notre Dame REU Program?

The Notre Dame REU Program, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a competitive summer research program for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies in science, engineering, or mathematics. The program is hosted by the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana and provides students with the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research projects, receive mentorship from faculty members, and develop important skills for their future careers.

2. How can I apply for the Notre Dame REU Program?

To apply for the Notre Dame REU Program, interested students must complete an online application form and submit it along with a personal statement, transcripts, and letters of recommendation. The application deadline is typically in mid-February and selected students will be notified in early March.

3. What are the eligibility requirements for the Notre Dame REU Program?

To be eligible for the Notre Dame REU Program, students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in science, engineering, or mathematics, and have completed at least two years of coursework by the start of the program. They must also be US citizens or permanent residents and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

4. What type of research projects are available in the Notre Dame REU Program?

The Notre Dame REU Program offers a wide range of research projects in various disciplines such as biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, and engineering. Some examples of past research projects include studying the effects of climate change on plant populations, developing new materials for solar cells, and investigating the properties of quantum materials.

5. Are there any costs associated with participating in the Notre Dame REU Program?

No, there are no costs associated with participating in the Notre Dame REU Program. In fact, selected students will receive a stipend, housing, and travel support during the program. They will also have access to all the resources and facilities at the University of Notre Dame, including the library, computer labs, and research equipment.