Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

APS March Meeting 2008, New Orleans

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any else here going to New Orleans next week?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

yep, I'm going. New Orleans is great. You can drink booze right out on the street.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never been to the Big Easy before - this will be my first visit. I'm looking forward to the food and drink! The talks might be good too. :biggrin:

5. Mar 3, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have fun! I miss the March Meetings. I find the 10-minute, production line contributed talks somewhat "charming", since there's no time for bullcrap and you have to get right to the point.

I am now "relegated" to the April Meetings and PAC conferences!

:(

Zz.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    Yep.

7. Mar 6, 2008 #6
    I'll be there. Unfortunately only for Saturday evening and Sunday. I recall the primary purpose my chapter of ACS is going is to accept an award or something.

8. Mar 11, 2008 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So how come we're not hearing any daily reports here on the meeting? How's the weather down there? Is everyone attending going to be presenting a talk?

:)

Zz.

9. Mar 11, 2008 #8

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

weather's not too bad, not too good. it's cloudy and 60-ish.

I give my talk on Friday, but two of my pals talked on Monday so I am hungover today from celebrating with them last night. I just got into town last night so I haven't even been to the conference yet.

10. Mar 11, 2008 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Good luck with the talk. I remember when we were at LA in 1998 when I was scheduled to give mine late morning on Friday. The room was only half-filled since a lot of people have left.

Was there any plan made to meet up with other PF'ers there? I know that if I were going, I would have tried to get people together.

Zz.

11. Mar 17, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I gave my talk on Tuesday, and was out of NO, La by Thursday evening. Two new things I consumed: grilled gator, hurricane. Neither impressed me terribly. Compared to the blizzard I'd just left behind, the weather there was fabulous.

12. Mar 17, 2008 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "hurricane"? :)

Was there anything earth-shattering that came out of there? I've been following a few APS blogs and it appeared that no one was revealing anything too surprising.

Zz.

13. Mar 17, 2008 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Mar 18, 2008 #13

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

as you might have thought: it's a drink with a lot of alcohol that tastes like it doesnt have a lot of alcohol.

I didn't come across anything earth-shattering... a few of the invited talks were good, but those sessions of pure ten minute talks are just mind-numbing.

Honestly, I didn't get much out of the conference. I guess it was good for a little networking, but not very good for learning about physics... I was really a bit disappointed by the whole thing... oh well. At least I'm getting reimbursed for my expenses.

and P.S. my friday 10AM talk was very sparsly attended... seems like people start leaving on Wednesday and the overall attendence decreases exponentially from there... oh well again.

15. Mar 18, 2008 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Of course. And yes, that was my first guess. :)

That was my experience as well when I was slated for a Friday session. But then it all worked out because when I went to the one in Seattle (was it in 2001 where we had the "Physics Woostock West" after the discovery of superconductivity in MgB2?), I got the prime Monday morning session that was packed to the gills. :)

The only interesting bit of news that I gathered that was also reported at the March Meeting was a new report on the evolution from quantum to classical system via coupling to an external "bath", i.e. decoherence.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080313143055.htm

Not exactly my field of study, but that would have been something I would had tried to attend.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?