Are Olympic Medals a Symbol of Tackiness or Originality?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 5K views
hypatia
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
10
The olympic metals, now they are just ugly!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What? Gold silver an bronze are the prettiest metals of all! Except maybe for palladium.
 
http://www.olympic.org/upload/news/article/L_ART_1575_uk.jpg
Looks more like an odd donut
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They should get some design tips from the Rappers and put 'ice' all over the medal so it blings. It should also come with matching a gold plated Crunk cup, so that you can toast to your victory in style.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/movie_pix/mtv/mtv_movie_awards_arrivals_2004_photos/lil__jon/mtv.jpg

Nothing says I just won the olypimcs like an iced out medal and cup. Just change crunk to O-L-Y-M-P-I-C-S. You could replace the crown with a Luge, ice skates, bobsled, you get the picture. (The matching teeth jewlery is for multiple event winners only) OKAYYY?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
scott1 said:
http://www.olympic.org/upload/news/article/L_ART_1575_uk.jpg
Looks more like an odd donut
Goodness, what an exceptionally bad design!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dolympic%2Bmedal%26ei%3DUTF-8%26b%3D81&w=100&h=100&imgurl=www.sevgi.k12.tr%2Folympicgames%2FOlympic%2520History%2FOlympic%2520Winter%2520Games%2Fpic_medal_nag_recto_s.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sevgi.k12.tr%2Folympicgames%2FOlympic%2520History%2FOlympic%2520Winter%2520Games%2Folympic_winter_games.htm&size=5.8kB&name=pic_medal_nag_recto_s.jpg&p=olympic+medal&type=jpeg&no=94&tt=13,944&ei=UTF-8

A few medals/torches, mascots from the past Olympics.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Everything seems a bit tacky this year. Donut-shaped medals, stick-figure mascots, and did anyone see the opening ceremony? I didn't watch much, but caught the parade of the athletes walking in (I think it was a re-run since it was about 4AM when I caught it...or was it really still going on then?)...they were playing really cheesy 80s music in the background...not even the good stuff, but the cheesy stuff, and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the selection of songs either. It was like someone just decided to turn on a radio instead of putting together a soundtrack that made any sort of sense. This year's organizers seem to have some really bad taste, or else they've really overspent somewhere and didn't have money left for music and medals (afterall, they're probably cheaper with a big hole in the middle...less metal in the medal, right?).
 
http://www.sevgi.k12.tr/olympicgames/Olympic%20History/Olympic%20Games/olympic_games.htm

Here are all the regular game medals. I think the Olympics in general is tacky.


I like the Medal from Atlanta, that is nice. Its like a new Quarter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think they spent all the money on the Alpine Mountain dresses for the opening ceremony. Which if you used the metals, you could play a nifty ring toss game with!
 
hypatia said:
I think they spent all the money on the Alpine Mountain dresses for the opening ceremony. Which if you used the metals, you could play a nifty ring toss game with!
:smile: Is that what those dresses were? They looked like something that would win an ugliest bridal gown contest! :smile:
 
I was putting my time to good use on Friday night watching the final episodes of AD (I warned you all). During the commercials I did switch to the opening ceremonies for a minute at a time. Yes, the Italians can be just as shallow as any American. So STUFF it all you "America is so tacky" people, get it right: "Humans are so tacky; the French love MacDonalds; Italians compose awful music; Americans talk on cell phones" . For these and for everything else let's all say a collective "mea culpa" (except in plural).

And you should have watched AD.