Are the Whiteboards in The Big Bang Theory Scientifically Accurate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 13K views
arivero
Gold Member
Messages
3,500
Reaction score
204
Any pointers about where to get information and perhaps pictures of the different whiteboards shown in Big Bang Theory?

I am particularly interested on the season where Sheldon abandons string theory; the boards for this chapter (155, season 7 ep 20, aired 10th April 2014) seem to show some M-theory + D-branes generic content, and the next day seem to be some model building with GUT groups but not the common presentation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and cnh1995
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you visited https://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/ ?
(Yes, I know the last entry is November 2013... so this doesn't apply to the particular whiteboard you ask about.)

[I wonder if this blog is run by an old classmate of mine. EDIT---based on the next two replies, I think it is.]
 
Last edited:
I think the blog is/was by Saltberz himself. I could try to ask him, but I am not sure if he is still the author of the whiteboards.
 
David is still the author of the whiteboards.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Photos! :)
I am sorry I'd need a Full HD copy.

This is one
upload_2016-12-12_2-3-19.png
from ch 21, so the day or week after Sheldon leaves string theory. It seems it is building a GUT multiplet, but in a very peculiar way.

The whiteboard next to the exit door seems related
upload_2016-12-12_2-7-52.png
as it is building something out of SU(N).

Sorry the bad quality. This was from a supossedly HD copy, but better I will try to reproduce the chapter in Netflix.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Ok, in the first minute there is a well focused one. Note the peculiar way of arriving up to the right-handed neutrino.
upload_2016-12-12_2-28-15.png
 
And here a well focused version of the other whiteboard
upload_2016-12-12_2-41-36.png


So it seems the guys have been working some variant of SU(5) / SO(10) GUT, have them?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
And got time to look at chapter 155... the day he decides to break with String Theory, the board in the entry door shows the M-theory diagram:

upload_2016-12-12_16-27-0.png


Is it the last attempt to some particle pheno from string? It looks a concrete selection of branes.