Aspiring Physicist and their unrealistic expectations

• Thread starter Admiralibr123
  • Start date
In summary, aspiring physicists often have unrealistic expectations about their career path, believing it will be filled with groundbreaking discoveries and constant praise. However, the reality is that becoming a successful physicist requires years of hard work, dedication, and failure before achieving any significant breakthroughs. Additionally, the field of physics is highly competitive and funding can be scarce, making it difficult for aspiring physicists to secure stable jobs. It's important for aspiring physicists to have a realistic understanding of the challenges they may face and to be prepared for a long and challenging journey towards their goals.
Admiralibr123
How did you find PF?
Google Search
Assalam-u-Alaikum (Hi), I am a 3rd semester physics major in a developing country. I know all about the big dreams and fascinating tales of discovery and intuition a theory like Special and General Relativity brings and attracts some little guy from somewhere to actually try to revolutionize physics.

What they don't yet understand is any inconsistency they find in these theories; thinking that they proved Einstein wrong, is just a manifestation of their insufficient knowledge and mathematical ability. Every new breakthrough idea they could possibly make is most likely thought of and tried decades ago. They need to realize that people smarter, more knowledgeable and more scientifically patient have plodded through these theories and developed new ones with no avail.

I think we owe it to ourselves to give them a reality check and give them the perspective so that the learn some humility while claiming some genius idea of theirs. I am not at all discrediting the possibility of an actual genius. Just highlighting the improbability of it. If after it all, they still want to pursue a career in theoretical physics. Then they will be making an actually brilliant decision. A heads up of what's to come and what's possible is our duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. It sounds like you will fit in well here. We discuss mainstream science as published in the peer-reviewed literature and standard textbooks. We often get new users who want to tell us about their new theory, and we have to remind them of the PF rules that do not allow such discussions.

We try to be gentle when informing them of that, so it is indeed a "reality check" but a gentle one.

Enjoy the PF! :smile:

BTW, here is an Insights article that you will probably appreciate:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/wont-look-new-theory/

Likes Admiralibr123
JazakAllah Khairan(Thank You). The article addresses my concern quite logically.

Likes berkeman