• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Astrophysics and the Private Sector

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm currently studying physics and astronomy as a second year student. I really like the subject area, but I'm am unsure of how likely I will be able to find a job within private industry relating to astronomy/astrophysics. I know there are a few jobs out there, but GPS and satellite surveillance don't really sound to appealing. Now the recent success of SpaceX is encouraging, but that's about it.

Now for a few questions.

What are some potential positions as an astrophysicist in the private sector?

Will I need to pursue a Ph.D for these positions?

What are you thoughts on an astrophyisics and aerospace engineering double major?

Answers and Replies

1) There are a lot of different positions one can have in astrophysics.
2) From what I hear, PhD is always a good idea for astrophysics.
3) Sounds very effective.

From a statistical point of view, astrophysics has an incredibly low unemployment rate -- almost 0%.

I'm currently studying physics and astronomy as a second year student. I really like the subject area, but I'm am unsure of how likely I will be able to find a job within private industry relating to astronomy/astrophysics
Most of my astrophysics phd friends work in finance, insurance, IT, programming,etc. Its pretty unlikely you'll end up in a job directly related to astronomy/astrophysics. You might want to take a few finance or data mining classes to see how you like it.