1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics and the Private Sector

Tags:
  1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    I'm currently studying physics and astronomy as a second year student. I really like the subject area, but I'm am unsure of how likely I will be able to find a job within private industry relating to astronomy/astrophysics. I know there are a few jobs out there, but GPS and satellite surveillance don't really sound to appealing. Now the recent success of SpaceX is encouraging, but that's about it.

Now for a few questions.

What are some potential positions as an astrophysicist in the private sector?

Will I need to pursue a Ph.D for these positions?

What are you thoughts on an astrophyisics and aerospace engineering double major?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2
    1) There are a lot of different positions one can have in astrophysics.
    2) From what I hear, PhD is always a good idea for astrophysics.
    3) Sounds very effective.

From a statistical point of view, astrophysics has an incredibly low unemployment rate -- almost 0%.

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    Most of my astrophysics phd friends work in finance, insurance, IT, programming,etc. Its pretty unlikely you'll end up in a job directly related to astronomy/astrophysics. You might want to take a few finance or data mining classes to see how you like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook