Balancing Astronomy and Education: The Life of a Physics Major

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dark_matters84
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 569 views
Dark_matters84
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
How did you find PF?
Through google search bar
Hello, I am a junior majoring in physics at a university. What got me into physics was through the field of astronomy. I am obsessed with stars, galaxies and just everything about the universe. I am math minded. I love math. However, I enjoy talking about astronomy way more so my minor is education. I have noticed these classes I’ve been taking lately have taken way more than unusual amount of my time. I had to quit my job to focus entirely on these upper division physics classes.

Anybody else study all day and night?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Dark_matters84 said:
Anybody else study all day and night?
I think most people sleep at night and find "studying all day and night" as a gross exaggeration just meaning that yep, college is a lot of work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and PeroK
phinds said:
I think most people sleep at night and find "studying all day and night" as a gross exaggeration just meaning that yep, college is a lot of work.
I do physics in my dreams
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: anorlunda
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Dark_matters84 said:
How did you find PF?: Through google search bar

Anybody else study all day and night?
Not all day and night, because that will be counterproductive in the long run. But I studied about 40 hours a week outside of classes in undergrad, which was challenging but ended up being very rewarding. Maybe shoot for that benchmark for now, and post in our Academic Guidance subforum if you'd like more advice about how to study best.
 
Dark_matters84 said:
I am obsessed with stars, galaxies and just everything about the universe.
BTW, @phinds didn't let on, but he shares your obsessions... :wink:
 
berkeman said:
BTW, @phinds didn't let on, but he shares your obsessions... :wink:
Yep. But I sleep at night and did so in college, except on those occasions when I didn't :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman