1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best field to do original research

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    What would be the best field to do original research with all the math from the first 4 years of uni?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Research

Whatever field interests you the most.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3

Is this a personal opinion question? I'd say astrophysics then.

Although if you are talking about yourself I have no idea then. /sigh

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

I was just wondering what field of mathematics would be most accessible to achieve a result with 4 years of university mathematics

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5

I choose... the lucky one!

7. Oct 27, 2009 #6

I am not a math major but I would bet that it is VERY unlikely for you to make any kind of break through in any field with only your four years of university level education. Why do you think the people who make the breakthroughs spend 4-6 years getting their PhD first?

8. Oct 28, 2009 #7

My guess would be something computer science related. One thing about these sorts of problems is that a lot of things aren't so much "pure math' but engineering problems that involve a good deal of trial and error.

9. Oct 28, 2009 #8

Knot Theory

10. Oct 29, 2009 #9

You'll be infinitely better researching what interests you, so my answer would be the same as Vanadium 50's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook