Bringing a Piece of Home: What Will You Choose?

  • Thread starter Thread starter darkar
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
29 replies · 4K views
darkar
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Assuming this is the first time each country start initiate contact with the other country in an event. The aim of this event is to let other country know about your country. You are chosen as the representative of your country and you are only allowed to bring one item to the event. You are not suppose to talk and explain the items you bring and your country. The item should be the media to let others know what about your country. What will u bring?

I thought of something people might bring such as a flag, coin, picture, music, etc.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To accurately represent my country and its people, it grieves me to say it might have to be a tabloid newspaper.
 
But you can't expect people from every country know ur country language.
 
A cup of tea and a bacon sandwich? I'd bring breakfast.
 
I would have bring some mexicans, because, soy de los estados unidos.
No, not really. I have no idea what single item can represent all of America (or any nation, for that matter.)
 
darkar said:
But you can't expect people from every country know ur country language.

Tabloids use words?
 
If they cannot read your language and you cannot speak either then your presence there is not so useful. You may as well just mail it in. Are you thinking along the lines of sending an artifact to an alien planet?

I guess I would mail some sort of video that just shows them as much of the country as possible. Is this allowed or does it have to be a non-media item?
 
Orefa said:
I guess I would mail some sort of video that just shows them as much of the country as possible. Is this allowed or does it have to be a non-media item?

Multimedia is acceptable. As long as it is one item, everything is fine.

Umm, but quite interesting, bring food and music
 
Actually for, England, you may as well bring David Beckham, cos that is all any pleb cares about here.
 
I'd bring the constitution. It is the single greatest representitve of American believes and ideals. With a little explanation it would show more of American culture then any other object.
 
A DVD containing all the blues music I could fit on it. I am a guitar player/singer of French/Am.Indian heritage on my mother's side and Irish/Am.Indian/Hessian on my father's. Ain't nothing like the blues. If you grew up poor, and you don't resonate with Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, etc, something's wrong. I love bluegrass, maritime music, rock and roll, country rock, classical jazz, etc, etc, but I cannot live without the blues. A couple of my favorite CDs are "No Frontiers" by Mary Black and "Between the Breaks" by Stan Rogers. These pale in comparison to the recordings of Muddy Waters, Elmore James, and Robert Johnson. Listen and find out why.
 
Last edited:
I would bring a copy of The Word Of Zoobos The Zoobonian, First King Of The Zoobies, for nothing else would provide such a comprehensive understanding of The Zoobie Way or of Zoobonia Land Of The Zoobies.
 
I would simply take a cactus ...does that give an idea of where I am from...?...:biggrin:




Galaxy33
 
I'd bring the constitution. It is the single greatest representitve of American believes and ideals. With a little explanation it would show more of American culture then any other object.
Maybe some good porn.
 
Galaxy33 said:
I would simply take a cactus ...does that give an idea of where I am from...?...:biggrin:




Galaxy33

Ummm, desert?
 
darkar said:
But you can't expect people from every country know ur country language.

The pictures would do.
 
Perhaps a good cup of tea.

I've never been to a country other than England where you can get a decent cup of tea. Even the Welsh screw it up.
 
I'd bring a gun.

It'd serve several purposes.

First, it'd allude to the fact that my country has an annual defense budget larger than the GDP of Russia.

Second, if I liked the other presentations, I'd be able to take them.

Third, I'd be able to claim whatever country we're meeting on as now belonging to Uncle Sam, thus returning to my homeland with treasure, land, and honor.

Well, maybe not the honor part so much.
 
jhe1984 said:
I'd bring a gun.

It'd serve several purposes.

First, it'd allude to the fact that my country has an annual defense budget larger than the GDP of Russia.

Second, if I liked the other presentations, I'd be able to take them.

Third, I'd be able to claim whatever country we're meeting on as now belonging to Uncle Sam, thus returning to my homeland with treasure, land, and honor.

Well, maybe not the honor part so much.

Umm, a gun!:eek: now other will think ur country is constantly at war~
 
darkar said:
Umm, a gun!:eek: now other will think ur country is constantly at war~
Of course. Look here: http://www.va.gov/pressrel/amwars01.htm"
Since its birth, he USA has been at war for more years than it has been at peace. A gun seems like a good choice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow !

I wonder why USA like fighting so much...

But then, a gun might symbolize to start a war to the other country u just meet when u first meet them. So, i wonder that's a good idea...
 
darkar said:
Wow !

I wonder why USA like fighting so much...

But then, a gun might symbolize to start a war to the other country u just meet when u first meet them. So, i wonder that's a good idea...
Guns are tools. The motivation of the user determines whether they are used for good or evil. I enjoy hunting and target shooting, and I honor the patriots who freed the US from British oppression. It's hard to fault the roles of firearms in these pursuits, and since I was a cross-country ski racer in HS, I love the biathalon! I abhor murder, robbery, domestic assaults, and wars of aggression. Blame the person, not the tool.

For the PETA folks: I hunt white-tail deer with a single-shot Ruger Model 1 chambered for .45-70. There is no second shot, so the first one has to count. I have never wounded and lost a deer. I let them pass by if I do not have a sure shot, but have never wounded one. The deer have a whole lot better life and a whole lot more humane death than the cows, pigs, and chickens populating the supermarkets.
 
brewnog said:
Perhaps a good cup of tea.

I've never been to a country other than England where you can get a decent cup of tea. Even the Welsh screw it up.

You couldn't perpetuate the English stereotype more if you tried! :-p