Buying headphones for a Windows 11 PC. Help with choice...

  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 755 views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
Hi,
Looking for some headphones that will have both low leakage and will lower ambient noise mostly from street traffic; both high, low frequency, averaging ~50 Db, with a Max of around 80Db, to plug into a Windows 11 Home . Not even sure these are the main parameters to consider. Willing to spend up to $35. Any suggestions on brands, in general?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know very little about modern headphones, but $35 sound really inexpensive. Do you really want to limit your search to that price range? Can you post some links to examples of headphones you are looking at in that price range? Thanks.
 
berkeman said:
I know very little about modern headphones, but $35 sound really inexpensive. Do you really want to limit your search to that price range? Can you post some links to examples of headphones you are looking at in that price range? Thanks.
I admit it was more budget- based than evidence based. I had seen the cheapies, at $4-6, fail after some 6 weeks, and I basically guesstimated a limit of $35 would be ok, as I just wanted something workable in terms of leakage and lowering external traffic noise.
 
1789088119176.webp
 
this is one area where it is you get what you pay for.

at the minimum, I would be looking at spending at least $100.