Calculating the Elasticity of an Annular Disc Without Prior Information

  • Thread starter Thread starter umer_majid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Disc Elasticity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
umer_majid
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have an annular disc that looks like the following:

Rubber-Backing-Pad-0582282.jpg


I need to get the elasticity of the material, since I don't have any information on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can calculate the elasticity?

Maybe I can get a force/displacement curve by bending the disc (held at the center)? I have equipment to do that. But how can I use that information to get the modulus?

Any help will be appreciated :)

Thanks & Regards,

Umer
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi umer_majid, welcome to PF!

One approach is to model the geometry by finite element analysis, obtain the force/displacement response, and match that to experiment. Another is to find someone to perform nanoindentation on the material to measure its stiffness. Another (destructive) method is to cut out a rectangular section and perform uniaxial testing on it.
 
I don't know the dimensions of your annular disc, but if you only need Young module and the material is not plstic (no linear elasticity) , may be you can try test without cut. Use the clamp to clamping at both sides of one radio.