1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus courant confusion

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    Hi, I have been searching to purchase volumes I and II of courant book calculus however there seems to be some confusion with different editions and such.

These are the original books published
    Differential and Integral Calculus, Vol. 1 616 pages
    Differential and Integral Calculus, Vol. 2 704 pages

The new published books by Riley
    Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Vol. 1 661 pages
    Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Vol. II/1 558 pages
    Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Vol. II/2 954 pages

My questions is, what are the differences between all of these editions do the newer published versions contain more material or what? Why do the number of pages not add up, as well?
    Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

First thing is first, Courant wrote two books on calculus, the first by himself and the second with john fritz.
    So these textbooks are different in the exposition (not a lot different).

As far as my experience goes, the introdcution to calculus and analysis, has been reproduced by springer to two volumes (like the first editions), the second volume is quite heavy mainly bacause it contains also solutions in the back to questions in this volume.

If you want to decide between the two, "Introduction to calculus and analysis" and "Differential and integral calculus", then my advice is the former because it has some applications to physics which are useful.

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3
    Roughly speaking, they are the same book. Calculus and Analysis is a newer edition with a co-author, and is the version I suggest as it has been re-vamped and modernized. The vol II/1 and II/2 is basically volume 2 spread over two books: the reason it needs 2 books is because a) the new stuff that has been rewritten and b) it has a built in solutions manual and c) its a way for springer to make more money.

5. Apr 25, 2009 #4
    great, thanks a lot

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook