Can You Succeed in Science with Just a Master's Degree?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gildomar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phd Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
gildomar
Messages
98
Reaction score
2
A lot of jobs that I see where you do actual interesting science seem to require having a PhD. Are there reasonable possibilities for doing that with having "only" a Master's in physics? I know that I could increase my employability if I got a PhD, but I'm not looking at getting one at the moment partly for financial reasons, as well as due to having to pick one area to focus on out of the several which are interesting.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean lead your own research effort? Not very likely. You mean work as a lab tech or other position where your effort is directed? Sure - that's possible. For example, most of Fermilab's accelerator operators have a BS or MS.
 
gildomar said:
A lot of jobs that I see where you do actual interesting science seem to require having a PhD. Are there reasonable possibilities for doing that with having "only" a Master's in physics? I know that I could increase my employability if I got a PhD, but I'm not looking at getting one at the moment partly for financial reasons, as well as due to having to pick one area to focus on out of the several which are interesting.

Anything is possible. However, you are not living in a vacuum. If there is a job opening that requires an expertise in something, how well do you compete when other applicants have PhDs in that area and publications on that topic? How well do you compete with these candidates who have attended conferences, and who have presented their work to their peers, something that is almost a requirement for anyone working in science?

It isn't JUST a question if you can do the job. It is also a question on why you would be the BEST person to do the job out of all other potential applicants! That is something you have to consider.

Zz.