Chess and Ukraine: Gary Kasparov, Putin, and Chess.com

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter neilparker62
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chess
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
1,262
Reaction score
755
Given the huge popularity of chess in Russia, I thought the following might be significant. Firstly a TED talk given by ex World Chess Champion Gary Kasparov (who wrote the book "Winter is Coming" and remarked dryly that the sequel would have to be "Winter is Here" !) Modesty requires that one does not say "I told you so" so Gary modified to "I -bleeping- told you so" !

https://www.chess.com/news/view/kasparov-ted-talk-russia-war-ukraine-putin

Secondly I think chess.com have taken an excellent position wrt the war in Ukraine:

https://www.chess.com/article/view/on-the-invasion-of-ukraine

If from the above you think I am a spokesperson for chess.com, I am not. If however you conclude I am a fan of chess.com , I most definitely am!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing the TED talk and article about the relationship between chess and the current political situation in Russia. I find it interesting to see how chess, a popular game, can also be used as a platform for discussing larger societal issues.

I agree with Kasparov's sentiment that chess is more than just a game, and can be a powerful tool for critical thinking and problem-solving. It is also fascinating to see how chess has become deeply intertwined with Russian culture and politics.

In terms of chess.com's stance on the war in Ukraine, I commend them for taking a clear and principled position. It is important for companies and organizations to use their platform and influence to speak out against injustice and violence.

Overall, it is clear that chess has a significant impact beyond the board and can be a force for positive change. Thank you for sharing these thought-provoking links.