Choosing the Right Thread Prefix for Your Science Questions

• Thread starter ASTRA225o4
  • Start date
In summary, choosing the right thread prefix for your science questions is an important step in effectively communicating with others in online science communities. The prefix can indicate the specific topic or subject area of the question, making it easier for others to find and answer. It is also helpful in categorizing and organizing discussions on a forum. Some common thread prefixes for science questions include "Biology," "Chemistry," "Physics," and "General Science." It is important to choose a clear and accurate prefix that accurately reflects the content of the question. By using the right thread prefix, you can improve the chances of receiving helpful and relevant responses to your science inquiries.
ASTRA225o4
How did you find PF?
Google
Hello, I'm just an enthusiast of both Astronomy and Astrophysics. I would like to ask a question in that section but, I'm new in the forum so I do not know what prefix I should use. There are 3 levels, should I pick the 3rd in order to ask that to the experts? Thank you so much.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! In your best judgement, choose from

B, basic ##\equiv## high school
I, intermediate ##\equiv## undergrad
A, advanced ##\equiv## grad +

I'm sure the same people will reply no-matter which one you pick, though, so it doesn't really matter 😜

Oh ok! Thank you!

Welcome to PF, @ASTRA225o4 :smile:

I changed your thread prefix for your thread start from A to I. The prefix designates the level of the replies that you want. Usually you would only use the A prefix if you were already at the graduate school level in the subject you were asking about. "I" is a good catch-all prefix, since replies will be limited to the undergraduate math level.

If you decide you want it changed back to A, just click the "Report" link in your thread and ask the Mentors to change it for you. :smile: